Drops & Hooks 101

Discussion in 'Trucker Videos' started by scottied67, Jan 14, 2016.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Today's lesson is in dropping and hooking 53 foot dry vans.

Virdis and camionneur Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Thanks, I'm just wondering if you had a problem that greasing the fifth wheel each time resolved.

tucker Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Back in my Swift days I did a lot of drop and hook. A high percentage of the trailers were dropped too low so I'd have to crank them up to the proper height so it wouldn't scrape off all my good grease. It just got to the point where I put a little grease on before each and every hook. Then 2 years ago I picked up a brand new trailer that I use every day, drop it about once a week on average against a dock and always grease 5th wheel before hooking back up. Just a habit, no problems with the 5th wheel but that could be due to keeping it greased up all the time as well.

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
  6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Are you a super trucker? I heard they were a myth.

Dominick253 and tucker Thank this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I always leave my dropped trailer empty or loaded no matter where with the landing gear an inch or so off the ground. Dump my airbags and off I go. Too many drivers don't and a lot of those drivers don't do it on empties so it's not habit.

I'm not even gonna start on yard jockey.

x1Heavy and Dominick253 Thank this.
  8. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I mentioned it was an advanced technique of mine to touch the landing gear to the ground-- in this case all I was doing was gonna grease the 5th wheel and decided to make a drop and hook video. Touching it to the ground was for greasing purposes only, when I drop that trailer in the docks or in the yard I leave the landing gear about and inch up. Then usually within a day or two of hooking up my loaded trailer I find some time on the side to re-drop it and grease it good.

x1Heavy and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm. I never thought about scraping grease off trailers by hooking them.

Usually it's a box of little bags of grease in the side box. A couple of them on the plate does the job because it might be months before I drop it again. To be fair, I grease em again when I get understeer on wet or ice.

10. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    What his is tool who speeds up on people when they're trying to pass. He does it in his 4wheeler too. Wish I could find the posts where he admits this and reason why he does it unfortunately I'm not that tech savvy to do the repost

11. scottied67

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I did that in my car in California, the trucker was trying to pass me-- we were already going 65 or so he is limited to 55 in California. I sped up a little to block him from killing someone and actually saved him from a ticket because he slowed down and got behind me.

I don't speed up and block people to create videos. I just drive the legal speed limit and my video dash cam happens to catch an inordinant number of people doing stupid things with their lack of anger management.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.