Drug test: too diluted

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ralph4159, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    I never saw this one coming. On the first day of orientation and they said to come ready for a drug test. I drank a couple glasses of water in the morning with breakfast, but not a ridiculous amount at all. We were told we would go at a certain time, but that passed because another student was still finishing paperwork.

i had to go bad, so I used the restroom and drank a little more water. We waited another half an hour and then they finally drove us to the clinic. There were a lot of other people at the clinic so we had to wait another hour. During that time, I had to use the restroom again so drank more water. Finally when I gave the sample it was pretty light colored (but I thought no big deal because it seems like they are always saying to drink enough water so your urine is clear).

Well today (the second day) we finished class and the instructor ominously said for everyone to leave but for me to stay. Then he remained totally silent for a long time until the very last person had left the room. Then he told me, with a sort of glint in his eye, that I had failed the test because it was too dilute and they were sending me home. I sensed something weird from this orientation from the very beginning because the instructor has been very cold and seems to hate teaching the course. He seemed to get a kick out of telling me I was done.

Is my future in trucking over? Do I have to tell every other employer that I failed a drug test because abuse of Schedule I H2O? It seems like by default they consider you a criminal. Do I have any recourse?

*BTW, I don't use any illegal drugs and haven't been using any over the counter or prescription meds either - zero.

2. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like they may be claiming you cheated versus failed for a substance. Probably gonna need an Employment Lawyer that understands your rights and Avenues of recourse.

3. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Just get a copy of the results so that you have a copy should you need them in the future. While I havent heard of this happening before it seems like the story holds water ( just kidding... ) Seriously just get a copy of the results and I think you will be fine - plenty of other companies out there.

4. BuckeyeCowboy63

BuckeyeCowboy63 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    Could go back to ur old employer.

5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a ramdom test one time that came back as to diluted. Had to re test and no issues. That is not a fail fight it

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  6. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally when a drug test comes back inconclusive becuse of the sample being too diluted, they'll generally have you retest and if he 2nd passes, then all good but if 2nd test fails,you're gone.

Charli Girl Thanks this.
  7. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not a fail. The clinic should call you back for a re-test due to weak specimen. Take a multivitamin. that makes the pee darker.
    If you paid money for the class demand a re-test or your money back. File a claim in General Sessions court if they don't oblige.

blairandgretchen and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. TachItUp

TachItUp Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    It seems pretty stupid that they didn't send you back for another test. I don't see how a diluted test could be considered a failed drug test.

Charli Girl and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Thanks Received:
    There's a positive dilute and a negative dilute. Why drink water 4X before the test? That's not normal.

KW Cajun, STexan and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    THats the dumbest thing I've ever heard of!!! :biggrin_2552: Sounds like Mr. SUPERIOR needs an attitude adjustment,GAWD why are people so frigen mean? I would've chewed him up one side and down the other! And went down the road to another job! trucking jobs are dime a dozen..not saying great ones but still....step back and YOU take the wheel and don't let jerks like that control your future! If someone is clean and they know it,they would NOT just lie down and take that. I would've laughed in his face bc I know darn well there's a fly in the woodpile somewhere!!!

rant over.. :biggrin_25518:

Chinatown, landstar8891 and okiedokie Thank this.