Dry coolant on engine, any ideas please? Pictures.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RubyEagle, Sep 2, 2015.

1. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    2005 Volvo VN780 with ISX. I am losing about a gallon of coolant a month or every 10k miles. No obvious leaks none on the ground. I noticed this dry coolant today on the hot turbo side of the engine near EGR valve. Some coolant is on thermostat housing also. Has anyone seen this perhaps have any ideas? EGR Valve and cooler were replaced 60k miles ago in February 2015 with genuine Cummins parts. Thanks! IMG_20150902_193011.jpg IMG_20150902_193023.jpg IMG_20150902_193029.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Since you are losing coolant, it could be a Head Gasket, Cracked Head or defective EGR Valve or Cooler.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The highest and most forward point you can see dried coolant caked on the engine is likely the source of the leak. To confirm the location, I'd clean it up really good with a steam cleaner, top off the rad, and run it on high idle for a while and see if you can see any damp spots developing. May be something simple like a loose bolt on a housing.

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  5. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    On a Cummins with an EGR cooler, 9 out of 10 times I've had one eat coolant, it's been a bad EGR cooler. Though, your consumption rate seems low for a failed cooler. I've had them eat a gallon every 12 hours (24 hour operation, a jug a shift before maintenance caught up with it). Usually they'll go more than 60K miles after a change though, unless you got a bum one.

The aftermarket might be your friend here...I've heard rumours of better-quality than OEM coolers being available, though for my money I might make it go away altogether, along with the rest of the associated hardware. But that's a topic for another forum.

damil and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  6. blr300

blr300 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    St. Thomas Ont. Canada
    Check the fitting next to the thermostat. Its the one with the black hose that goes to the coolant reservoir. I've had the one leak a coupe times. The first time was worse. Caught it quicker the second time. That fitting going into the thermostat housing has an o-ring on it.They get weak and start to leak after time. I never had any puddles on the ground either an it never gave off any odour. Might be worth checking out.

7. damil

damil Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2012
    I had a isx with egr and cooler issues. worst engine I have had to date. The magic spoken of above works and is cheaper then replacing said items. The wizards are getting few and far between now who can perform this magic

8. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Hmm interesting. I had new injectors put in and now i notice im having same problem lol...

9. blr300

blr300 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    St. Thomas Ont. Canada
    I heard KR talking on sunday"s show and maybe check your tranny fluid level in case coolant is getting into it

10. drdesl

drdesl Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Billings, Montana
    +1 on blr300. Also FWIW, the newer ISX turbos like yours are cooled with coolant. Is there a leak on the turbo housing anywhere? The "seals" that Cummins uses there are pretty rinky-dink and sure don't seem to last too long. Well long enough until your next EGR cooler change..................

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.