Dry Van to Reefer

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Lightside, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Any Swift drivers know how it works when you have been driving Dry Van and you switch to Reefer? Do you have to do the 200 hour training all over again or?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Not if you are already solo, but depending on the account, you might have to be trained in reefer if you have no experience with one. It is a whole new ball game.

Lightside Thanks this.
  4. Sustanon

Sustanon Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2010
    KY
    Reefers are not for everyone,i was asked to help out,and pull a reefer loads a few times,got less then a 3 hours sleep on each.Sleeping with that racket all night over the years,must have some long term effect on the hearing.

Lightside Thanks this.
  5. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    What about this ocean container account? Heard Swift has something like that.

I like the reefer noise actually. I don't sleep too well in perfect quietness.

6. Kansas-Kid

Kansas-Kid Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    What's the big deal? There isn't that much difference?

7. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    Minus having to deal with the Mafia (lumpers). A lot of delivers are 0001 and 0500 or 1700 to 2300. Most grocery warehouse personnel seem to hate their job. A lot of grocery warehouses if they're not brand new or built in the last 15 years. Seem to be in the war zone of most cities. God bless you guys cuz I couldn't pull a reefer for those reasons and many more.

CaptainDaveG and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  8. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    For reefer division, you pretty much just hook up and figure it out. Make sure to get a list of reefer codes. They don't even make you take the reefer training course. I was trained by a Van guy and never knew how to operate the bloody thing till I picked one up at started pushing buttons. Then I did my homework, and asked other drivers what was up. But there's nothing to it really, keep it fueled up, if it runs out you will have to prime it. Watch your temps, the pulp thermometer for Mac 16 is the trailer door thermometer. Make sure there's 3/4 fuel in if you drop a loaded trailer. Don't fill a rail trailer more than 1/2 unless it's going on a rail car (the trailers with the 100 gallon tanks.)

That's about it.

MistyWhite Thanks this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Saw a Swift reefer guy with his little check reefer light showing a red K meaning there is a problem. I'm sure he could see it in his mirror if he looked, but he was pulling up onto the freeway no worries I guess.

10. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Could have known about it, there are allot of codes that can more or less be ignored.
    Or part two, he's taking it to get repaired or delivered before the unit goes down. The newer ones throw up the K of death for low fuel.
    However there have been plenty of loads lost to the no pre-trip crowd.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    I left Swift and back to pulling reefer again. I can tell you, a red K, nothing to fool with. I yellow then you can look and see one. As far as pre trip, the newer ones all do their own pre trip as far as the engine as soon as you turn it on. Also depend on if Carrier or Thermo. Different lites. I pull carrier

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.