dt466 dies and will not start

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by DPForumDog, Nov 13, 2015.

1. DPForumDog

DPForumDog Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    We are having our 2006 4300 (DT466) towed for the 3rd time. All 3 times same problem: the truck will be driving fine and all of a sudden the truck dies and will not start. (more details below)

(1) August 2015 ... truck was towed back to our place. One of the guys here said that he drained water out of the fuel and the truck started, but then it didn't start next day so we called local mechanic and he checked electrical connectors and found that fuse in battery box was not making connection and shorted. He charged us $200.00. truck ran fine for about 2 months

(2) October 2015 ..... Driver said he driving about 50 mph on 2 lane road when he realized something was wrong because the cruise control stopped. He said the accelerator was slightly responsive a few times but the truck stopped and would not start (even after it cooled off). We had it towed back to the International dealer where we spent over $1000.00 According to the wording on their invoice they did 4 tasks (1) they cleaned the fuel filter system and installed prescreen, replace fuel filter, screen fuel strainer, regulator assembly (2) they "found fuse for IDM burnt need to hard wire the connectors in battery box, by starter and by firewall need to replace the EDM/IDM power cable in the battery box" they did note "hard wire and the truck starts good. (3) one of the fuses shorting out, (4) reinstall drive shaft , installed drive line aired up trucked pushed in shop KT strap kit u-jt strap

(3) November 2015 ..... (Today) Driver was exiting freeway on an uphill ramp when he intentionally disengaged the cruise control. This time the pedal was unresponsive. So we are having it towed back to the International dealer.

Anybody know what is wrong with our truck. Obviously the professionals are clueless.
    Thanks
    Granny DP

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I know nothing about Internationals or their engines but one thing stands out in your post: the burnt fuse. If it is the same fuse burning each time then my guess is you might have an electrical issue somewhere in that circuit. That's pretty much the only advice I could give you on that.

truckon Thanks this.
  4. DPForumDog

Nov 13, 2015
    Sorry, I didn't get to check out any of your suggestions because it was towed directly to the local international dealer. They just got it "fixed" today (hopefully)
    They performed 1 task .... "found ipr faulty pigtail, , cut out old IPR pigtail and wire in new one"

parts $24.91
    labor $260.00
    misc 5.00
    taxes 2.70
    total 292.61

Would a bad IPR pigtail cause the problem we were having?
    Thanks
    Granny DP
    DPForumDog

5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    It could. If I were you I would re-check the IDM fuse connections in battery box. More than 1/2 of the road services I do for Budget Rental on IHC trucks are bad connector in battery box. More than 1/2 is being generous!

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Definitely, without the IPR reading high enough the injectors wont fire.

7. sailboatjim

sailboatjim Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    My sons International 7.3 was doing the exact same thing yesterday. It was blowing Fuse 30 and that Fuse services the Diesel Fuel heater, Waste-gate Solenoid, and the Injector Driver Module Relay coil , PCM relay coil.
    I'm betting yours is something similar. When this fuse blows it dies.

8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Disconnect the fuel bowl heater, its more then likely shorting out. You dont need it unless you live in Alaska.

9. DPForumDog

Nov 13, 2015
    I talked to the Southland International guy (Homewood Alabama) and he said said that the tech check all that but I am beginning to wonder. I looked for a youtube video on how to check them. But I cant find one.

10. DPForumDog

Nov 13, 2015
    The Truck quit again! A different driver and he was not using cruise control.
    I called Southland International in Homewood Alabama and let them know I was not happy. I dont know if we will take it back there given they keep "fixing" stuff and it doesn't fix the truck.

The guy at Southland International (where we have it had recently towed twice) said it that neither time were there any active codes, only inactive codes and "one triangle" which he said meant service work would soon be needed.
    So now it has broken down 4 times with the exact same symptoms.

11. DPForumDog

Nov 13, 2015
    I talked to the guy (whose company has tried to fix it twice) and he doesn't know what fuse they replaced. He is going to find out which fuse it was.

What would cause fuse #30 to keep blowing?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.