dually or no dually this is the questin

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by paulpost, Jan 19, 2016.

1. paulpost

paulpost Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2015
    How many of you guys don't have a dually and can go by without I know you are limited towing weight wise but I'm asking because here in south FL at this time we have a lot of Canadians with huge campers towed by regular 3500 dodges and 350 fords

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I run two 2500-250 FWD's doing farm deliveries normally 10-30 miles. Some times they are heavy on the drives and or the trailer but I try to avoid that. I run those myself not over 50 MPH with the major concern of stopping if someone pulls out in front of me. Second concern is blowing a rear single. But they do good in the mud. You probably want to add air bags to make up for lack of springs. Had a man pick up a horse trailer and carried it 700 miles to factory for warranty repair. He showed up with a single wheel F350 and I questioned him about that. He told me he runs over sized Nitto's and this truck was his living, no problems. Still like dually for the highway.

4. paulpost

Jan 25, 2015
    I can see that a major concern is safety if you have a dually and blow a rear tire you still can move especially if the rear axle is overloaded that can happen

5. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/
    dually problem solved slightly less on the rear drive axle than a dually but still substantially more than what a standard 10 ply will handle

paulpost Thanks this.
  6. paulpost

Jan 25, 2015
    Yes a better tires will do but I fund this kits that can turn a single tire axle to a dually and just doubling the number of tires will be a great advantage regarding safety and load margin

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    #### the bigger tires and all the other crap, duals is the only way to go. Yeah there are lots of people out there doing it. They are the ones I am having to swerve away from when someone breaks wind. Loaded heavy they tend to get what I call tire roll. Add in some ruts with the wind and someone hauling one of those BIG RVs and you have someone that cannot maintain their lane in a 25 mph wind. To me, it is more about the stability of the platform than the capacity.

RustyBolt and goin2fast10 Thank this.
  8. goin2fast10

goin2fast10 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Where I want to be
    Dually is the only way to go for any distance with a lot of weight.

9. LilRig

LilRig Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2015
    We run a 3/4 for loads up to 12k, and a dually up to 16k. If you're doing a lot of light loads, single works fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.