Dumb things I am now noticing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fixedtissue, Jul 3, 2015.

1. fixedtissue

fixedtissue Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Greetings,

My paid schooling begins Monday, and as I finish up running errands around home, I am noticing what I think are dumb/illegal driving on the road, both from commercial vehicles and four wheelers.

Yesterday, a local food distributor's straight truck driving with his gate up, all the way up. Going up steep grades. Loose stuff- produce, canned goods, etc. starting to bounce toward the lip. Accident waiting to happen. How does one forget to roll down and secure the door? And if the door is stuck open, shouldn't the driver call that in, and park the truck until a service vehicle can get out there to fix that?

Also yesterday, an angry-looking guy in his 20's-30's in a black Chevy driving like a madman in rush hour traffic, on a busy four lane highway. Almost ran right into my side. Trying to drive between lanes, weaving in and out, tailgating, no turn signals, way over the speed limit considering traffic conditions. Just a real ####### jerk.

Do you guys have any tales/advice you can give this newbie, about bad drivers around you? Thanks.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Head on a swivel, back off the pedal a few mph. You cant outrun stupid, but you can let it pass you by.

4. fixedtissue

Jun 25, 2015
    Oh yeah, good advice, even on a Segway.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  5. RickyDickyDo

RickyDickyDo Heavy Load Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Loveland, Colorado
    Here i Colorado i would have called the CSP, they have a 4 diget # to report aggressive behavior and or road rage

fixedtissue Thanks this.
  6. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Drive the speed limit. Don't follow too close. Let idiots around you. Better them in front of you than behind you. Concentrate on driving. Nothing else. I don't even listen to the radio if I am in unfamiliar areas.

fixedtissue Thanks this.
  7. fixedtissue

Jun 25, 2015
    That's even me driving in my Yugo!

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    By my own perception, it's getting worse. At night you can clearly see the lit screen of cell phones in hand. During the day you see if you look. I'm surprised to see anybody with both hands on the wheel anymore.

If they're engaged with the phone, it's erratic speed and lane control, tail gating, no indication and inattention. As soon as they finish their text or facebook post, it's speeding, lane changing without indication and tailgating.

We've all got a ton of stories, I'm sure. It's just become everyday life now. I look at the crosses on the side of the road, read the accident write-ups. I know why it happens.

fixedtissue and d o g Thank this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi fixedtissue, Once in a while, with a rollup door, that does happen. If the gate was up, nothing should fall out. (unless it's stacked on the end) Also, food distributors make like a gazillion stops in a day, so they may only have been going a short distance. ( I know, how hard is it to close the door). Probably forgot. Years ago, drivers would inform other drivers of that, now they probably just laugh.
    As far as 4 wheelers, remember, it's YOUR job to watch out for them, not visa-versa. Like others said, let them get ahead of you, and watch the excitement. Just be ready with the brakes, as those kind of drivers get their due. ( it's kind of gratifying, when it happens in front of you). By all means, if you don't have a dash cam, GET ONE. It may be the only evidence you have in an incident.

fixedtissue Thanks this.
  10. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    I just leave plenty of open space ahead of me, go with the flow, let them do there zig zag thing and watch from a distance. Rush hour is a great time for a nap IMHO, but with that 14 hrs burning away its not always posible these days.

blairandgretchen and fixedtissue Thank this.
  11. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Advice: Get used to it

fixedtissue and Mr.X Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.