Dump Truck Business

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by pilot8251w, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    It looks good so far but I don't see anything for health & workers comp insurance. Do those figures show income after any fee's that your friend is going to charge you? I use exel for expense reports, I love the formulas. When the income goes all over the place then the rest of the expenses will which you already know. Does maintenance cost include tires, tarp purchase/repair etc? Those should be listed separately. Don't forget about fuel taxes. You might make a section for any tools that you may have to purchase if you are going to do maintenance. Also do you have separate phones for personal and business use? If so that should be listed as well. banking and office expenses?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocket1

rocket1 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Camden, TN

All of this is very right cause there will be unexpected things come up. You might also rethink your fuel #s cause unless your makin very short runs 250 miles a day isnt very much. Our hauls average between 40 and 80 miles (some more some less) but last week i put 3200 miles on my truck but only ran maybe 24 loads.This grossed $2900 and burnt about $1200 in fuel with an average mpg of 6.8 (the mpg is high cause your empty half the time). I relize your situation could be very differant just tryin to give you some varibles.

4. Carolina_Beaver_Teaser

Carolina_Beaver_Teaser Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Mooresville , NC
    I would also revise the estimated down to more lik 23 to 24 tons.

27 tons, maybe with a brand new east quad axle dump trailer, KW T800 with 1 single 100 gal fuel tank, and a small poly hydraulic tank, or a 38 to 40' aluminum framless with the same tractor.

You can run asphalt with qaud trailers, don't know about with frameless, never tried that.

For the slow period look at running dirt, abc, and the such for state road construction projects.

Good luck.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't see you getting 27 ton on any quad trailer. Maybe one of those aluminum bathtubs...

I don't think I'd want to feed a paver with a 38-40' trailer.

6. Carolina_Beaver_Teaser

Carolina_Beaver_Teaser Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Mooresville , NC
    MACK E6 yes the newer east 26' qauds can legally load 27.35 tons in SC to gross 80720 lbs. with an empty wt of 26,020 lbs half full of fuel ( 100gal tank)

Mack, me neither.

7. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    One thing you both are over looking is he's based in Alabama if his location is correct and will be most likely hauling Alabama weights which are higher than OTR weights.

Alabama along with some other states make exceptions for trucks base plated in Alabama, MS, and LA.
    In MS and LA. which you can buy a year long permit to haul over 80,000 lbs.

In Alabama we purchase what is called a 9X tag which cost a little more, around $200.00 then we can haul the extra tonnage. We have to comply with the Interstate weight and bridge laws when we are on the Interstate just like any one else.

In Alabama we haul 82,300 on four axles, 88,000 on 5 axles and 92,400 on 6 axles.
    We are not allowed on the Interstates with that weight only US, State and local roads. The Interstate weight restrictions apply to us as it does to anyone else on the Interstates. Any truck base plated in AL can haul those weights not just the dumps.

8. tomo1

tomo1 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Alabama
    I have a LOT of LOT of experience with Alabama tri-axle dumps (buy a KW) call the KW guy in Dothan (I think) he is a wealth of knowledge.

First you can haul 88500 on the tri-axle, 20k f/a, 20k lift, 46k r/a. Most of the trucks are equipped with 16'X60" bodies that will hold 21 cu yds. MOST (not all) asphalt hauls in your area are paying buy the hour. Tires are going to be a major expense, dump trucks and asphalt hauls eat up tires quickly (something about 88k on your back and turning around on culdasacs all day)

Its a great business (buy a KW) and a lot of money to be made if your willing to work.

9. NightWind

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    To me your post is nothing but an advertisement for the KW dealer in Dothan, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if you were the salesman that you mentioned in this post.

By the way get your weights and terminology right any dump trucker in AL knows that a triaxle can't haul 88,000lbs. A triaxle trailer can but not a triaxle truck with the body specs that you posted can't.

Please share your experience with us as I'd like to be convinced that you aren't that salesman or one that works for the dealer.

Perhaps I should make a call and see.....

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    No need to call monday. The internet can be valuable for finding all sorts of things. Includes a list of folks working at a particular dealer. :D :D

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

BUSTED:biggrin_25523:
    This is a cheesy way to bring business to yourself as a sales guy at a dealership. However if you want to advertise for yourself on our site there are proper ways to go about it. There is no free lunch on this site.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.