DUMP TRUCK'N

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Dumper826, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Dumper826

Dumper826 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    So my business consultant who is going to help me get a dump truck and business going asked me to do a little homework on the industry. He wants me to find out on an average how much would I get paid to operate as an Owner Operator. I've done some reading, and see there is a few ways. One is hourly (need to know breakdown), and the other is by tons or loads. I use to be a company driver years ago, and was getting about 25% of the loads. Considering calling construction companies, and quarries to see if they can give some advice. Moving back into the MD area, and want work in the MD/DC area. For O/O that aren't doing bad, but is not getting filthy rich, and making a decent living what do you recommend or what advice can you give me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    EEeesh....tall order

All the info is in here, Id be piecing 6 months of lurking together to give you a killer / proper response
    "just cant do it captain!!"

All the trucks in Tucson Az getting 90 an hour...some guys sell out for 60, some only take 120...so location and market dependant...my dumptrucking o/o friends are all hourly..2 with 10 wheelers, one with super 16, one with end dump
    All of them are always workin

So much your not going to be able to plan for..Get a dumptruck cheap, and take what you can get, if your truck holds, and the wheels are turning, youll be ok...You'll learn it up quick..

For sure a 'jump in and try it' business...You gotta pimp that hoe!!
    Tell that to the buisness consultant
    Your going into prostituion with a middle aged hoe and are not sure if the men will like her, or if the men are paying..Were gonna have to walk the hoe up and down the block a few times and see what happens

I know a guy who's got a set contract with a mining company hauling copper concentrate with his end dump..they give him 300 a load, he can do 2 a night

My other pal bounces from job to job, today he scored an asphalt haul, might get 7 or 8 loads at 90 an hour, crew is quitting at 3, been on since 6...bout 750 for his day with a super 16

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Isn't that what you pay the consultant for..to do the homework?

5. Dumper826

Dumper826 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Great analogy!! Definitely am looking for a decent dump truck thats sound and that doesn't give me issues early on. I saw the example on this site where the guy added all his expenses to come up with his hourly wage which was about $80-85 an hour. I also was reading get a truck that has an aluminum dump, and I wouldn't have to get a truck with a huge engine. Something with 3-400 horses. Does that sound about right?

6. Dumper826

Dumper826 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    True, but he's wanting me to learn the business as I go along. Which I can respect. He's an associate from my hometown, but has moved on and has started some successful business in the MD/DC area. I guess its like when everything is up and running I would be not just a driver, but a sound business man as well. Plus hes a pretty busy guy and he's looking out for me because the work hes doing for me anybody else would have charged me alot more than what he has.

7. realdesertkickin

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Yup, My last one was a 2007 international, round bed!!! Steel liner!!! It was awesome, everything always came out, and I did asphalt, and sticky mud !!
    I dropped 3 ton boulders in there and never dented my bed...I loved the round bed...Been dumptruckin forever
    This had a 375 horse eng, and was plenty for local as the gearing was perfect for local, 10 speed..

So many options tho....I could take a 1974 dodge 10 wheeler and find work haulin dirt away for a pool company or somethin, no a/c no radio, crank bed (lol, made that up)...and be able to fix most problems on my own

Or you can get a new western star with a warranty, jacuzzi, 3-d printing food prepper all that too..

One is easy, and safe
    One requires buisness consultant

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  8. Dumper826

Dumper826 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2015
    That's awesome!! So you recommend a steel dump vs a aluminum? Is it true that more money could be made with a aluminum because its less weight from the truck and can get a heavier load?

9. realdesertkickin

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    Mine was aluminum bed with steel liner, 25k truck, Id run 25k in the bed run around town 50 to 54 thousand pounds, which is standard
    Ya wanna haul 10 yards at least, 12 is standard, 15 or more would rock

Dumper826 Thanks this.
  10. kendall

kendall Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2010
    crescent oklahoma
    Can I have a link to the guy your talking bout

11. TRUCKEE411

TRUCKEE411 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Great thread... I was looking for this info about a week ago... I'm looking to get in that business as well. Will be watching this thread.. please post up dates..

Dumper826 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.