e log question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by heavyhaulerss, May 18, 2016.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You just have to learn to run legal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    Maybe people just don't like someone telling them how many hours they need to run/rest in a day in order to be alert. What works for one person doesn't work for then next, just like e-logs might work for some but not others.

Dharok, DTP and AshtonMarie81 Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    That true people may not like being told how many hours they can work. The HOS are not new, just elogs will make it more difficult for drivers to bypass the laws.

tucker Thanks this.
  5. AshtonMarie81

AshtonMarie81 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Wasnt it anything thats 2000 and older your not mandatory to run them but asked to run them.. theres no way to hook one up to read information on this older truck im looking at getting.. its pretty much all mechanical, no idiot lights just gauges, to keep an eye on.... but my 06 freightliner has an elog and actually i likes it.. because my dispatcher cant mess with me, saying... and they dont need to call me to ask where im at they just ping my elog for its gps location...

6. gunner76

gunner76 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2010
    IA
    '99 model year and older doesn't have to run e-logs, at least for now.

7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Remember that gps tracker on Breaking Bad?
    Surely someone in the government saw that...
    Plus wouldn't it be fun for a DOT man to pull over an old truck and look at the paper logs?

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Yeah, E-logs by the majority will free up the LEO's to spend more time picking on the paper log guys. Many think the pre-2000 thing will be a major blessing. Not quite so sure. I think they will just become an easier target to mess with. I don't think anyone is going to get over in all of this.

9. AshtonMarie81

Apr 2, 2016
    I'm looking for an elog to use in my 98 model truck, so it can link up with my 03 truck.. so i can swap between trucks and my log times carry over... I'm excellent at paper logs, but I've noticed dot doesnt mess with elogs that much because u can't really fudge an elog that much... theres tricks you can do butu cant alter the elogs to much...

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I do see one potential issue for LTL guys with this elog business, and that's the 30 min break after 8 hours.

Most of us don't take that because that 30 minutes can make a difference of possibly two missed pickups or deliveries.

AshtonMarie81 Thanks this.
  11. AshtonMarie81

Apr 2, 2016
    I ran for NEMF, for 3 yrs and never once took a 30 min break.. because id ether miss my delivery or pickup.. but LTL drivers running with in 150 miles of thier terminal, don't need to run log books or logging devices.. only line haul would need elogs,, but since all CMV will have elogs. Guess dispatch routing will have to include 30 min breaks, and drivers will have to miss delivery or pickup eta... in away elogs will ether be good for the driver and bad for the company.. because now you have to show your 30min break...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.