E-logs will equal more parking

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Breaker-one-nine, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Breaker-one-nine

Breaker-one-nine Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Flying J
    I believe and correct me if you think I'm wrong. As it is now the truck stops fill up about 6pm. Every driver on the road has not had their clock run out at 5-6pm everyday. Once E-logs take effect I believe it will more than quadruple the amount of trucks on the road overnight when drivers are forced to follow the law with their hours. Also I think rates could go up as the old timers leave the industry.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Not gonna happen. There will be new drivers to take the place of the ones that leave. Most trips do not require you to drive your full eleven or only take a 10 hour break. If you are going 700 miles and you have a late appointment there is no need to rush, especially if you have a crane appointment.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I believe it will be the other way, with drivers forced to park when their hours run out thereby less parking for more trucks trying to park.

flood, bzinger, Blackshack46 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    That makes much more sense.

When I was OTR and on paper , I would go home if I was close. On elogs, I'da been taking up a parking spot in a truck stop 1/2 hr from home. If I ran into a snow storm and the consignee was on the other side of it, I'd get there and sleep rather than get stuck in a jammed up truck stop. On elogs, I'd be out of hours and contributing to the clusterfu..

6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    True, E-logs do not ALLOW someone to make common sense decisions on their own,(like previously stated)

Thus, Making our Industry ANGRIER than it already is.....

Here's the Fix, Let us Drivers Do our Jobs without interference of any Kind...Lose all these drivers that don't "Really" know what they want to do with their lives...And Rely on 'others' for assistance in driving a truck.

This is AMERICA, I proudly Drive My truck with Pride, I use my own judgments, And its been working safely and My customers are serviced without problems

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Really dude? You are legally allowed to drive over your hos in order to find safe and secure parking. If i was in your shoes that truck stop a half hour from my house would be full. Not my fault the next closest safe parking area is my house.

8. Retired2015

Retired2015 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I think before they consider mandating elogs, they should take care of the shipper/receiver problems. If they dont, you will see more trucks parking in the day and more trucks running at night. You'll have to so you can stay by the elog. JMO

Peter Griffin Thanks this.
  9. Breaker-one-nine

Breaker-one-nine Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Flying J
    I agree and exactly my point. As things are now if you run legal you will have to run at night at some point. I typically drive 3 maybe 4 nights per week. I actually prefer it because when I do roll into the J at about 6-6:30am there's plenty of parking.

10. Retired2015

Apr 13, 2016
    Yea I prefer running at night because theres not that much traffic late at night but when they mandate elogs, there will probably be more truck traffic at night than there is during the day.

11. Retired2015

Apr 13, 2016
    The way shipping and receiving is now, youll be lucky if you get unloaded and reloaded the same day but if you do, you'll be out of hours and will have to take a break, meaning youll have to run the load at night. They need to buckle down on them- 2 hours max at any shipper/receiver. That will still take 4 hours of your 14 on the elog.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.