E logs

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Southpaw7391, Mar 12, 2011.

1. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    My company has a 'line' 5 off duty driving. which we use to find safe haven when out of hrs do to the dock. And we also can use it up to one hr. for off duty personal conveyance. to eat, to store back to terminal, just for example.
    We use the Qualcomm mcp200 in cab scanning. If dot needs paper logs, i get thier fax #, enter that in to qc and 2 min later dot is looking at logs. We can also go to a website, and look at our logs.
    Split logging is a breeze, cause the computer keeps tracks of the splitting.
    Plan your trips just right, you would never have to do a reset. No it's not required to take the reset. I haven't reset in probly 8 months.
    If my currant company wasn't so hell bent on putting everything on rail as well as going into more of a regioanl co. I could be making great money, even with elogs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    The other thing is what if the ol' elogs/QualComm/GPS or whatever electronics goes belly-up? Its not like something electronic cannot fail at some point. Pour enough coffee on your QualComm terminal, and I'll bet it gets upset real quick. At that point, if you don't have a paper logbook handy, you're not going to be compliant. Even pointing out to the officer that the electronics failed won't keep you from getting a ticket, put out of service for good measure, and at least a dirty look and furrowed frown from Mr. Safety at your carrier.

4. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I no longer have a carrier... so...

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Ah... well then...

When you get a ticket, you - the Safety guy - look in the mirror, scowl, and chew yourself (the driver) out. Then, still looking in the mirror, you - the driver - look in the mirror and flip yourself (the Safety guy) off!

:biggrin_2559:

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  6. Southpaw7391

Southpaw7391 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Wherever
    I use Eclipse, its really nice and easy to use, granted it can be manipulated
    just as paper logs can be, but everyone is correct you must print them and keep the last 7... I've heard you can just show the DOT your laptop, but I'm not taking that chance...

7. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Glad to be of service

ironpony Thanks this.
  8. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    This line 5 thing sounds interesting. Couldn't find it anywhere in the regs though. So if a LEO downloads or has a down load of your hours and mileage how do you explain the difference between them after your 34 hour reset? Your miles at the start of reset and end will be different.:biggrin_2556:

I ran electroic logs with Werner for 5 years. It wasn't that easy to just send in log correction and say change it. The company can't just change your logs.

I would be interested to hear from some of the LEO's on here to see thier take on this.:biggrin_2558:

9. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    I respectfully disagree. The old hours weren't that complicated and if you didn't show more than 8.75 hours a day you could run 365 days a year and never run out of hours.Did it for years and never had a problem with hours and the speed limit was 55 and we still delivered the freight on time (at least I did). Sleep when you needed to and keep the left door closed. Truthfully I doubt very seriously I could go back to the new hours and deal with it. I agree the 34 hour restart is driver friendly but there's a lot of comments on here from drivers who never use the restart. Somewhere on the TTR there's a link where a study was done a year or so ago and really a very small percentage of driver's used it. Keep this in mind to: The DOT and FMCSA are already under pressure not to change the HOS anymore and in fact a couple letters have been sent to them that they simplify the HOS rather than make them more complicated. I rarely agree with ATA but at a conference the President said if they attempt to complicate the HOS more than they (ATA) will start litigation against them. Considering the ATA's past with the FMCSA that's a big change for them.

Lilbit and Boardhauler Thank this.
  10. D_Jeffers

D_Jeffers Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Everywhere except NE
    I never said it was complicated. And if you can run with only 8.75 hrs per day more power to you. What I said about the old rules was there was no 34 hour reset. If you ran out of hours on your 5th or 6th day, you could not drive again until day 9.
    Of course this is assuming that you properly log ALL your hours on duty and driving.
    I hope the FMCSA listens and reads the comments regarding the "Proposed HOS". Those new rules are a total crock. And the studies they used were a crock also. The organizations pushing for the change are "Parents Against Tired Truckers" "Concerned Citizen" and the "Brotherhood of Teamsters".

11. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Since the only driving I'm doing now is in a Nissan Armada, a Pontiac Grand Prix, or a Suzuki Hayabusa... it doesn't matter. That was my point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.