E-LOGS

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bumpy, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

Freehardwoods:
    You make a interesting argument but not a valid point,your basing your "system" on your personal experiances

In one sentance you say you choose to fight government interference ,but yet YOU have yet another solution to the HOS,wouldnt that just be doing the same to another driver that you dont want done to YOU?

Compliance has everything to do with SAFETY,and you contradict yourself in your own words when you mention the teenager probationary program your daughters have done,they "Complied" with the set rules to achieve the safety record that allows you to receive a $1000 bond CORRECT?

Hazmat endorsement: does not even apply to this conversation as you claim,I dropped my Hazmat by CHOICE and yes i cant haul Hazmat because i do not "COMPLY" with the standards for hauling Hazmat

Now i have a question for you,okay the FMCSA adopts your idea and if you do not meet their criteria for compliance you thought you would be at,you would be okay with that?

I think you need to visit the FMCSA website and re-read CSA2010,all of your ideas are already in there

As for your take on me? Im not the one saying that drivers are to be now classified and only certain ones can drive certain ways and visa-versa,we ALL start with the same set of COMPLIANCE STANDARDS,what the Individual does with it should be left up to them,If anything all i can say is I follow the rules,nothing special here,if you or any other driver wants to "deviate" from them well thats your business but then again its your CHOICE to do so.

One Standard for all drivers,what is so hard to understand about that? We have them,they are called the Hours Of Service,we have a Book of Standards(Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations) and yet the whole industry cant follow these simple rules,and you want to now say we need to be doing this instead?

The HOS "as is" are FINE because they make all COMPLY equally,NO driver is better and or worse than any other.

Yatista Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    Missouri has always been known as "the show me" state.

4. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
  5. freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2011
    SW IN
    "you're basing your "system" on your personal experiences"

Not just personal experience. I hear it everyday.

"wouldnt that just be doing the same to another driver that you dont want done to YOU?"

Giving someone options is better than being told this is how you will do it whether it works for you or not.

If compliance has everything to do with safety, then the guy that spends all night watching tv or playing games 2 or 3 nights in a row is just as safe as he is compliant.

Hazmat endorsement: does not even apply to this conversation as you claim,I dropped my Hazmat by CHOICE and yes i cant haul Hazmat because i do not "COMPLY" with the standards for hauling Hazmat

That is exactly what I am proposing. It is the perfect example. It would be the drivers choice whether to go to the next step or not. If a driver chooses not to do it, then he doesn't comply with the next step.

"if you do not meet their criteria for compliance you thought you would be at,you would be okay with that?"

If I don't meet their criteria, then I doubt if anyone could. I have passed every roadside or in-house audit I have ever been a part of.

"I think you need to visit the FMCSA website and re-read CSA2010"

I skimmed through csa 2010 a few days ago.

"we ALL start with the same set of COMPLIANCE STANDARDS,what the Individual does with it should be left up to them"

That is what I want; choices for individuals.

The last point is connected to the first point. I hear it all the time from many sources; "One size does not fit all."

I am not trying to take away from you the way you want to work. It still appears that you want everyone to conform to your choice though.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    EOBR bill introduced in U.S. Senate

By Land Line Staff

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association responded to the announcement by U.S. Sens. Mark Pryor, D-AR, and Lamar Alexander, R-TN, on Thursday, March 31, that they were introducing a bill to mandate electronic on-board recorders (EOBRs) for interstate commercial motor carriers.

“With all due respect to Senator Pryor, EOBRs will not improve highway safety. However, they sure will cost small-business truckers their hard-earned money and their privacy,” said Todd Spencer, executive vice president of OOIDA. “EOBRs are nothing more than overpriced record keepers lobbied by big business trucking companies to wipe out small-business competition.”

EOBRs cannot accurately and automatically record a driver’s hours of service and duty status. They can only track the movement and location of a truck, and they require human interaction to record any change of duty status. Therefore, such as in the case of loading and unloading time, the device is incapable of determining the actual duty status of drivers without interaction from drivers indicating to the device that they are on-duty. Loading and unloading time should typically be logged as “on-duty, not driving” in order to accurately reflect the hours a driver has worked.
    OOIDA also contends that the government has ignored a federal statute to ensure that EOBRs will not be used to harass vehicle operators. An analysis conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said that “companies use EOBRs to enforce company policies and monitor drivers’ behavior in other ways.”

“Companies can and do use technology to harass drivers by interrupting rest periods,” said Spencer. “They can contact the driver and put on pressure to get back on the road to get the most of his or her on-duty time. This mandate would be a step backward in the effort toward highway safety and is an overly burdensome regulation that simply runs up costs.”

Copyright © 2011 OOIDA

7. Madbull

Madbull Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Girard, IL
    My 2 cents is I cannot stand someone that tells me to plan my trip better.

People that say this obviously work for one of those elite companies that never have late appointments or have drivers working weird hours. And must run coast to coast.

Answer me this if Wal-Mart came out tomorrow and stated trucks could no longer park at any of their stores where would we be?

With just the amount of companies out there already trying the E.O.B.R. Parking has really gotten scarce to non existent for us late runners.

So are you telling me that I should just get loaded then go straight to bed to ensure I get a parking spot then drive the whole distance as soon as I get up to arrive exactly on time. Only to be stuck behind a accident or sit at the receiver and be out of my 14. Not to mention I just wasted a whole day "trip planning" better.

Some people live in fantasy land or they work for Wizard of Oz Trucking.

And yes I am one of those guys that still parks on a ramp if need be because I'm tired and have looked for 2 hours after 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. only to find nothing.

8. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York

One thing many overlook. If, as in your scenario, you have time to drive and time for the 10 hour break, where and when you take the break is not relevant. 10 hours of driving and 10 hours of break will always be 20 hours. Drive 5,6,9 hours to parking and take the break. Somewhere in that distance you can find safe and legal parking.

9. scottchris71

scottchris71 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2010
    iowa
    Seems someone informed you wrong. You can faz them to any scale office that wants to see them in about 5 minutes,,,i dont need no hard copy and i dont need to sign them......fyi

chalupa Thanks this.
  10. scottchris71

scottchris71 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2010
    iowa
    I have been on e logs for almost 5 months. With that being said my miles have not changed much. We have lost some customers that delayed the trucks and would never pay detention. You have to really plan your trip, A lot of times you cant drive all your hrs you got cause you have to be able to find parking. Driving over your hrs regardless of what ever the reason is a volation, and no parking is not a excuse. With this being said, i would not go back to paper logs. I get preplanned before i empty and its alot less of a head ache. e logs is coming it may be a year or two out...but it will happen. The company i work for decided to get on them sooner so we could iron out all the trouble.

11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Well,I start e-logs next week,and I do have mixed emotions about it,however,one thing I will NOT miss,constantly dealing with dispatchers,but to a higher degree,brokers,always trying to convince me to put in 18,19 hr days. Anyone doing this awhile knows that scenario,so I am not going to give any examples. One concern I do have though,is the N.E.,how in the hell to pull that off with e-logs,as if I cannot stay at shipper or receiver,and it is after 4pm,where to go?

Panhandle flash Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.