####ing EARLY FEE????

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Leon Phelps III, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Leon Phelps III

Leon Phelps III Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Los Ageles, CA
    Yesterday I was unpleasantly surprised by words I thought did not exist!

EARLY FEE!!!!!

Im rarely late, and if I am my reasons are mechanically related.

I left Ontario CA for Memphis at noon on Monday. First shift, Ontario - Gallup NM. Second shift, Gallup NM - Amarillo TX.

I know a chick in Amarillo.

It's now 430pm. Second shift Amarillo TX - Memphis TN. I arrived in Memphis at 4am Wednesday and got permission from the gaurd to park on site.

I already knew that my delivery date was scheduled for Fri 8am so I was going to go chill with some Memphis family until a lady came out the warehouse and said, "oh, you are here already? Might as well get ya off loaded" I'm like cool.

The customer finds out that I delivered early and rips the broker a new one. Complains that I went off and made arraignment with receiver on my own. The broker rips dispatch a new one claiming that the customer is charging him a fee for DELIVERING EARLY and therefore the fee will eventually land on me.

I called the owner and expressed my disagreement and respectfully stated that if I am charged a fee consider the day of that check my two week notice.

Am I wrong? Ive had plenty of job offers eleswhere.

Has anyone of you ever been charged an early fee or have you heard of anyone being charged an early fee?

Logically speaking, I believe that if its such a big deal to deliver early,

THEN WHY THE FUCC DIDNT THE RECEIVER JUST TELL ME TO COME BACK FRIDAY INSTEAD OF ACCEPTING IT.

KB3MMX, dog-c, 77smartin and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    ###### if you do, ###### if you don't. Ain't trucking fun!?

4. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    The broker needs to have the balls to tell the customer to go #### themselves. Unless the receiver is charging them storage fees but that's between the customer and reciever. Had a customer threaten to send Stevens the bill for guys he hired to unload the load the day before (I relayed the load, wasn't my fault it was late). Stevens told them to go ahead and send a bill, it would hit the wastebasket, unless that was stated explicitly in the paperwork, the company wasn't paying for ####.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Early fee that's the first time i hear about that.
    I would not pay that fine either!!!

KB3MMX, Leon Phelps III and HorseShoe Thank this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I know some companies (Target) have it in the freight contract that the load must deliver ON a certain date. Roll up to the gate at 23:45 on Tuesday and youth not supposed to drop until Wednesday, Target will in gate the load, then fine shiiper/broker/carrier.

I did a direct to store load for one of the big home improvement stores and each stop had a specific time window. We were told explicitly not to approach the store before that time or we would be service failed. Even if the store approached us we were to state that we couldn't back into the dock until the delivery window opened. I had to show one store manager my QC to calm him down. Guy said it was the stupidest thing he ever saw, then apologized to me for being a douche.

It comes down to what's in the freight contract. If its not in the contract your company won't/shouldn't pay up. If it's in the contract but your company didn't tell you then you shouldn't be held liable.

7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I'd tell em to stick it. Had a few loads refused early but never a fee.

Leon Phelps III Thanks this.
  8. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    i am wondering if the customer whom the load was from, had some sort of payment issues with the receiver in the past, where he did not get paid, in a timely way. maybe the customer was waiting for the check to clear from the receiver.

in any event, if it was not noted on the bills "DO NOT DELIVER BEFORE APPT. TIME", then you had no idea of what might have been going on behind the scenes.

none of this would be your concern.

receiver said they will unload you, and you agreed, as i would have as well, and frankly, many times i have delivered hours earlier or a day earlier, with nary any consequences.

the only "early fee's", i have seen were on some bank loans, called a "pre-pay off penalty", for paying the loan too early.

i guess that bank, wanted to make sure they got ALL the finance charges they were supposed to get, till the very end.

seems to me, paying off a loan would be a good thing for the banks, as they avoid a person from filing bankruptcy and get out of the loan......

if YOU are charged any money at ANY TIME for this fiasco...seek work..and by the way....if it were me, they WILL NOT get any notice of my departure.

KB3MMX, Leon Phelps III and Ougigoug Thank this.
  9. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    There's a simple solution, don't pay the fine.

10. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    We did those at my previous company. Probably the same home improvement place I'm guessing. Store or DC load it didn't matter. Show up 1 minute early and it was a $500 'fine' to my company.

I always laughed at the wording. They were going to 'fine' us lol like they were someone with the authority to be levying fines against anyone. Always in all CAPS on the load information on the QC to not approach early or we would be fined 500 lol

Basically it amounted to them getting the load hauled for next to nothing after the took their stupid 'fine' out of the freight charges.

Worst thing about them was they always had too much time on them to deliver so we ended up getting close and then sitting for hours or even a day before we could go in

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just don't understand this
    My customers call me and say when can you be here what's the earliest you can deliver
    They can't get the furniture fast enough because it's usually sold and has to be delivered that same day

NavigatorWife, lee2442 and HorseShoe Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.