Easiest Job for Old Guys?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Newfrontiers, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Newfrontiers

Newfrontiers Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi Friends,

I'm getting up there in age, and needed some advice. What is the easiest Trucking job for older guy?

I'm 55 now and been reading forum posts and work conditions etc. I can go OTR but my back is not as strong as it once was, and don't want to get hurt.

I can get HAZMAT cert, if need be.

Thanks for your input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Recruiting. Just sit there and lie to people on the phone all day.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Don't do Hazmat. You are too old to give a #### anymore. LOL. (He he he...)

Be a trainer. Sit in the right hand seat and profess being unable to be scared by anything generated by the poor new hire sweating out the docking of the trailer.

Or a Recruiter.

Or better yet become a Dispatcher. Say hello to 100 People, chew out 20 and forget about em after your shift is over while half of them sweat out if they will be on time or not while you sleep. (If you can....)

Drop and hook. Your back will go out sometime. Make it while bent over the landing gear rather than a warehouse throwing boxes while some pipsqueak suit pesters you about whatever.

Buy a show truck. Drift around the USA earning your feed shining wheels and lay in the lawn chair while being told what a beautiful trophy winning truck you have by thousands of public.

I can go on. But I think Ive said enough, partly in teasing with humor and smile. Partly not.

Steel Dragon and LindaPV Thank this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    USPS.

We got drivers WELL OVER 70 years old. They LITERALLY have to croak from old age before they are considered replaceable.

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Old geezers like yourself should pull a dry van. Just sit there and hold on to the wheel.

7. DRAGON64

DRAGON64 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Toney, AL
    If dropping and hooking messes with your back, you might consider Expediting with a spouse or friend. Straight truck teams is the way to go for the prospective expeditier:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/

Check out some youtube videos from "The Crafty Trucker" to get a feel for Expediting...

8. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    55 years old and you want easy trucking job. Now I've heard everything. 55 is not old. Just stay home on the porch.

morpheus, Steel Dragon, HaulIt and 7 others Thank this.
  9. Newfrontiers

Newfrontiers Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2016
    (well one can hope ? ? ?)

I hear ya,...just asking (hope that's ok).

10. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I am close to 55, but if I had a bad back I am not sure sitting in the same position for hours on end would feel good after a few days, let alone weeks and months at a time. Then there is always the pre-trip, lifting the hood, crawling underneath to check the 5th wheel, let alone any of the other hundreds of things that can come up.

Newfrontiers and DRAGON64 Thank this.
  11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Be hard to beat dry van for absolute easiest, well, physically anyway. Of course you need to find a no touch carrier but that is no big task. Reefer should be okay too.

Sharps5090, tman78 and DRAGON64 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.