Ecm rebuild

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by chevyman85, Oct 10, 2016.

1. chevyman85

chevyman85 Light Load Member

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    They do a great job.

DougA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Fairly easy to trouble shoot to make sure that's what your problem is.You have to find your wiring diagram,find the right wires in your harness,and check for power in,power out.
    Power in,no power out,ECM bad.Lots of times it's your harness and plugs,that corrode.Just make sure before you pull it off and send it away.

chevyman85 Thanks this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Pittsburgh Power is another company that does rebuilding and ECM turning

chevyman85 Thanks this.
  5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I've done a little troubleshooting but will have to hook it up to computer to find out for sure what it is. Based on my findings, the problem is in the ECM.

I have the Cummins engine service manual and wiring diagram. Truck just cranks without starting. ECM does have power. Warning light and stop light flashing in cab. It's in a '94 w900 by the way.

There is no way that I know of to read the codes. The Cummins manual says you'll either have a diagnostics switch or use a shorting plug. I have no switch and can't find a place to insert a shorting plug. Just looking over the fault codes, the only thing that would indicate a no start would either be the cam sensor or something inside the ECM. I did do a cam sensor test and it seems to be ok.

chevyman85 Thanks this.
  6. chevyman85

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My truck was a Rush Truck Center for over a month and they couldnt diagnose the problem, so much for chain shops. After the recommendations I called Midwest Ecm Repair and they diagnosed it over the phone. Dave was like yeah man I see this all the time with the older trucks. After fixing it that ol pete is purring like a champ.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So what exactly are the symptoms of ECM going bad?

8. chevyman85

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    My truck would not stay crunk for extended periods of time the fan was not coming on. When Rush tried to reflash ecm it would not hold RAM memory. Midwest said that most of the time once memory goes bad it has to be rebuilt if circuits are burnt however ecm would have to be replaced. Once RAM memory goes bad it does not allow truck to call the program needed to run the truck.

HopeOverMope and DougA Thank this.
  9. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    When my ECM went bad,no warning.Truck would crank,but no fire,real simple.Luckily this happened in my driveway.Mine was 95 Celect Red Top 500,cpl 1844.

chevyman85 Thanks this.
  10. colorado18spd

colorado18spd Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Dave is the best just take it off and ship it to them, no cost to test it. Glad it went well, @chevyman85

HopeOverMope and chevyman85 Thank this.
  11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Exactly what happened to mine. Same engine also.

chevyman85 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.