Electric Gremlin must go

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HopeOverMope, Oct 27, 2016.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Hey y'all my name is Hopeovermope and I got electrical gremlins... All jokes aside I'm going crazy over this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Truck is a new to me generation 1 Volvo vnl
    N-14 motor

My tail lights and license plate lights went out. This was after I replaced the old rusted rear panel and all new lights. It Ran like a charm for about 5 days. Then the lights went out, first the license plate leds then the running lights. TURN SIGNAL AND 4 WAYS AND REVERSE LIGHTS ARE WORKING.

So since I'm over the road right now and have troubleshooted over 8 hours cleaning every 6 pin connecter resplicing a couple corroded wires, replacing/checking fuses/relays, I decided to jump a hot wire from the trucks pigtail housing on back to the tail lights for constant power.

Well as soon as I went to test the jump wire on one of the lights; not only was there not power to the jump wire but no marker lights on the flatbed either ????????? The trailer still has turn signals and flashers. Give me a break!!!!!! Went to fix one problem and created another. What I did was strip the jump wire and stuck it into 11 o'clock female plug, then plugged the plug in as usual. I quickly took out the jumper wire and with a flathead I spread the prongs in the housing to make a better connection. NOTHING.

I'm at a major loss of what to do. I really don't want to throw it at a shop. And I'm still 1500 miles from home. Which even when i get there I'll still have to figure something out.
    Thanks in advance to any suggestions or guidance,,,,, safe trails

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I bet you fused the #### thing somewhere. Follow that pigtail to your fuse box up front.

Whenever a entire trailer electric gets crazy or dark, you have a monster dancing inside your wires tonight.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Do you have power on the correct circuit at the 7pin socket mounted on the rear of the tractor BEFORE the pigtail? If so, suspect a bad pigtail harness.

5. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yea I don't know. I pulled my light tester out and got no power on any of the prongs which doesn't make sense because I got power going to my 4 ways/blinkers/stop lamps. But I never really had good luck with those cheap $5 light up testers. I should invest into a better one

cat13 Thanks this.
  6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Tractor side, female receptacle, on the back side where the wires come into it, pull the protective boot off and see if there is corrosion, loose, or broken wires there. Use your test light and see if you have power there.

You can double check your test light on a battery if you suspect it's not working.

7. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    One must be positive that the test light has a known good ground when using one of those. It can be difficult to find a good ground on the back of a cab without using an extension lead to reach a ground lug or bolt head on the frame etc. due to the abundance of fiberglass and the cab being islolated by rubber airbags/mounts.

8. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Jamming wire in pigtail I'd suspect that it grounded and blew a fuse ... on your first issue some led lights may be grounded differently I put some behind the bunk once and both worked great but burnt out in 2 days .. after changing brands the new ones are still going 3 years later

9. Roger McG

Roger McG Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2016
    western mass
    sounds like you popped the marker light fuse with your jumper wire.that is probably why you have no markers or tail lights on trailer now

10. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    image.jpeg Yea I got a little fuse tester that works really good, and I have the fuse maps. So I've tested every fuse in the main distribution center fuse station, the one under the CB in a Volvo. I checked the two 10 fuses that are on the passenger side frame rail mid-way.... Those are good... The weird thing is, when I hooked up that jumper I never even touched the hot wire to anything else,,,,,,, the trailer lights were already gone before I could..... So it's hard to tell what's coincidence and not...

I did find a broken ground wire above the battery box,,,, it's looks like that is the dedicated plug that feeds electricity to the tractor/trailer pigtails. I fixed the ground wire,,,, or at least good enough to see if that was a factor- and odd enough nothing changed

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. s0231198

s0231198 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    If your trailer has it, have you took the box apart for the pigtail connection and jump the circuit breaker in there for marker lights, it may have went bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.