Elog v log books

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TJ9203, May 19, 2016.

1. TJ9203

TJ9203 Bobtail Member

May 19, 2016
    I've been playing with different elog apps and I'm curious to what other people's opinions are on what is available right now; KeepTruckin, Big Road, etc - I don't have access to JJ Keller. What else is everyone else using? How do the different apps differ from your current log book process?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Trucklogger, Drivers Daily Log, and Ecli[pse Truck Log emulate the written logbook rules, while the ones you mentioned work to the minute, I think.

I just use paper.

4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Ive been under elog since i started. My latest en-devour with that small time owner op allowed me to use keep trucking or big roads. I used keep trucking the entire time, works just like paper. except its in a digital format.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I use my laptop and a program called trucklogger.

6. whs

whs Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016

Here is something to look out for though. Happened to one of my drivers today. Driver has a level 2 inspection, all is fine. Driver uses a log book app on a tablet (Keep Truckin). Inspector says that driver has to have in possession an instruction manual for the elog per 395.15 (g) (1). HOWEVER, in the rule it clearly states this requirement only applies to automatic logging devices, there is no mention of an elog app which is the same as paper logs just kept on a tablet. All manual entries just with a finger not a pencil. I contacted several industry legal support groups and the answer is the same, it's only a violation, even if you're right, the process is that the inspecting officer has to sign off that he was wrong, and improperly interpreted the rule, I was told I would be wasting my time because even if the officer did reverse the violation there is no guarantee the violation and subsequent points would be removed from CSA. How is that fair?

7. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Funny you mention this, I was just thinking about this scenario the other day. I currently use BigRoad as its easier than trying to get paper logs turned into the mothership weekly. Ive seen some other guys actually with "BigRoad Electronic Log Onboard" stickers on their trucks, so I'm guessing they are treating these the same as ELDs currently? In which case I guess the violation could be valid, but I don't think BigRoad even has a instruction sheet like the major ELDs send out

8. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Big roads does have a downloadable driver card

https://discover.bigroad.com/driver-card

9. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
  10. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Gunner75 Thanks this.
  11. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I use keep trucking, it's just digital paper that fills in the redundant things for you. I keep the instructions on file and I print out the previous day's log out every day so I can keep them on file.

Only problem I had was just like two weeks ago it some how filled out all the forms with jibberish, like truck number "the 1 and only" terminal address "the only one I've ever had" driver name was my email address and ID was h j k.

I don't know how it happened but it was on all the viewable logs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.