Elogs and current hos are causing too many accidents!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by CruisingAlong, May 28, 2016.

1. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I took this quote from another thread......

I hope you're joking because you are way wrong! A mandatory 10 hr break is what causes tired driving in my opinion! People are not cookie cutter similar in sleeping patterns.
    I sleep for 5 hours then wide awake and have to sit there for 5 hrs before starting my 14hr day. 19hrs without rest. Many of these accidents that are happening lately are caused by drivers not being able to stop for a nap due to their work clock continuing to run. If they are in the sleeper/off duty it should pause the work clock.

I feel that current hos may work for some or even majority, but I strongly feel in a significant number of drivers like myself, it greatly reduces my ability to work a full day and drive completely rested.

Rant over..... Lol or is it.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Dharok, NWAF, ramblingman and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    What u explain is the current hos, nothing on elogs

Dharok, spyder7723 and Ryan423 Thank this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I need 7 hours of sleep every night, if I am only taking a 10 hour break (rare) I goof off for 2, sleep for 7 and 1 in the morning.
    Maybe if you goofed off for 4 hours, slept your 5, you'd have 1 left to start your day.
    I never nap while I'm on the road, that's a bad habit.
    Elogs is not going to happen for about a year,
    Find yourself a carefree company, or start your own and drive 18 hours a day. In no time you'll love the hos

5. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    It worka for you and i imagine most others but it doesnt for many..
    I do not understand why when sleeping, why it still counts as hours of your work day.
    I
    As a personal preference, i rarely goof off when on the road. Im there to work as efficiently as possible and then get home sooner to play. But i usually am not on the road for more than 10-12 days at a time. For those living on road, leisure activities while out there is important to a quality of life. This further illustrates my point we arent all cookie cutter the same.
    It wasnt until i was in my 40s when prostrate issues caused me to wake after 5 hrs to pee (and then i couldnt fall back asleep) before that nasty life event, 8hrs sleep or more was the norm.

When mandatory elogs tied into the truck are forced down the pipe, i bet you will see tired driving accidenta go on the rise. Right now a large portion of drivers can be creative when necessary to get the needed rest and get still ger the job done.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Dharok and Peter Griffin Thank this.
  6. justa_driver

justa_driver Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Elogs have their pros and cons like everything else. The pros, I could always get more miles with them when I was on long trips than I could with paper-unless of course I fudged but the things I hate about them is I hate being responsible for a shipper or receiver who cant seem to load or unload a truck and you are held responsible by elog. They cause you to sit more than run and I really hate that because I like to get the job done. As for goofing off, Id rather save that for when I get back home. My goal when I leave home is to get back home. Cant do it sitting around everywhere.

12 ga and CruisingAlong Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The one big issue for any human is awake time.

The moment you are out of that sleep for the new day your body starts to accumulate toxins and other ordinary waste from being active during your day. After a certain amount of hours you must sleep again after a full day.

There is nothing anywhere in the regulations that protect a driver from being awake and ending up waiting at a dock for example for so long it becomes unsafe to deliver next morning several states away.

I used to be able to sleep anywhere any time, even if it is a hour or 20, I don't have a sleep clock anymore It has been totally and completely destroyed by trucking in my lifetime. I sleep when I recognize that I have been awake for a full day whatever hour it might be.

It works in my favor because I was a night runner and still am. People drop dead at night, I just getting started. There is no room in the Law for a regular start time every evening. At some point it's going to be rotated to day hours or interrupted completely by however many hours of restart sitting around waiting to go.

tsavory and justa_driver Thank this.
  8. justa_driver

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    Im the same way, I prefer to run at night. If I could find a job that was all drop and hook with long miles, elog would be great but when I lose most of my hours sitting at a shipper or receiver, time I get off break the night is about gone.

shogun Thanks this.
  9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    When are you all going to realize elogs are not the problem? There is no difference between elogs and paper logs they are both tools that do the same thing. You can drive illegally on both only difference is elogs will tell on you and paper wont.

Elogs cant force you to do anything. Dispatch cant force you to do anything. Your boss cant force you to do anything. You are the cdl holder and it is your ### and yours alone on the line if you try and cheat the system.

I used to run both and I like elogs better. I made better time and more money. Also, kept me safer. If I needed to break I had legal justification to do so without going 10 rounds with dispatch.

Also, those who said you cant nap are full of crap. I used to run nights. Pick up 11pm or midnight in Northern KY and deliever in Kenosha, WI the next day usually 10 am. I would pull over at the T/A just north of Indy on the 65 just past 465. Took an hour nap, sometimes 2 hours and still made it on time. Was late only once and that was cause of issues with my truck.

Elogs are not the problem. Blame hours of service if you want. However, elogs are bad arugment is getting old.

10. justa_driver

Apr 2, 2014
    Tennessee
    The length of your trip and the time schedule determine whether you have time to take a nap or not. Just because you can dont mean everybody can. You are right, the hours of service have a lot to do with it but since they are unwilling to fix them, it makes elog the problem. You can give up all your hours sitting at shippers and receivers if you want to, but Im not. Until they fix either the elog or the HOS, I will not run an elog.

tsavory and poppapump1332 Thank this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Trucking is a hard job and not suitable to just anyone.
    Maybe the cupcakes that can't stay awake for 14 hours should learn how to say... "Would you like fries with that"
    image.jpeg

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.