Employment history - verify all 10 years?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Nevermind, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious to know if trucking companies are required by FMCSA to verify all 10 years of our employment histories, or just the last 3 years. Does anyone know?

If you happen to know where the regulation is in the handbook, I'd be grateful if you'd point it out to me.

I've wondered about it before, but in the process of filling out an online application I ran across this:

The U.S. Department of Transportation requires that driver applicants provide all employment for the past THREE years. Prior to hiring, all driver applicants must also provide commercial driver employment for the SEVEN years immediately preceding this three year period.

Driver applicants must account for any gaps in employment during this period.

If unemployed during any of that period, enter "Unemployed" and list dates (you should be prepared to provide an unemployment compensation stub, if required). For any period of self-employment, we may require additional documention. If previous employers are out of business, we will require copies of W-2 Tax Forms, Pay Stubs or other documentation.

All employment history from past 3 years is required. PLEASE ACCOUNT FOR ALL TIME PERIODS IN THE PAST 3 YEARS. LEAVE NO GAPS.

Thanks much.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. usatrucker01

usatrucker01 Light Load Member

Thanks Received:
    you must list 10 years and the company must verify/ contact your employers for the past 3, years

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    I think so too, but a lot of companies do the whole 10 years. Thanks for the reply.

I'd still like to see the regulation if anyone knows where it is.

4. me only

me only Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    392.21 might help you out

5. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Lemme fix that for ya.

That's the part everyone misses. The 7 years back only applies to commercial driving work. They don't care how long you did anything else.

6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    As I read that the past three are a must. past 10 only if subject to DOT regs in that 10 yr span..

7. me only

me only Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    391.15 also explain 10 yr

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been driving 12+ years. Thanks anyway.

Will check it out - thanks for the reply. Have loosly searched the regs before but couldn't find the answer.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    The answer is in

Still researching....
    Still under 391.23
    This is interesting:

10. Bigarmin88

Bigarmin88 Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill make this easy,IF you are a newbie who just starting your trucking career more likely the companies you apply at more likely will only required your last 3 years.Now you will still need to fill out a 10 year work history BUT they are manly look at your last 3 years.Now if your a EXPERIENCE trucker with a min of 1 year experience,they will check your last 10 years of employment,now that being said and unless you work in H.R at a trucking company I don't believe they really call all pass employers form the last 3 or 10 years.It required because FMCSA required it.

Draft saved Draft deleted