Engine Fan

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by RandyLAROSE, May 30, 2016.

1. RandyLAROSE

RandyLAROSE Bobtail Member

May 15, 2015
    Good morning I had to put a new Ac compressor on my w/s series 60 back a couple months ago now that its getting hot out im using the ac a lot more , it works great but the engine fan seems to be coming on a lot more than I can remember like every 60 seconds roughly when I'm using the ac. Why? Trinary switch?
    If so can I change that myself? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    A/condenser is in front of the radiator and is dispersing a lot of heat which is absorbed by the radiator also.
    Drives temps up especially when just sitting.

Maybe rinse the cooling fins on the radiator and condenser ?

4. Mythandar

Mythandar Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    Is this happening when your going down the road or only when your sitting idle?

An a/c system is all about pressures. The fan is requested on by the trinary switch when the pressure in the high side gets to around 250psi, and if the pressure were to get to 280-300psi then the trinary switch would open the circuit going to the compressor to prevent the pressure from getting any higher.

That is what is most likely causing your fan to come on more often, I don't think there's anything wrong with the trinary switch because it sounds like it's doing it's job properly, unless this is happening when your not at idle as often as when you are at idle, and I assume your a/c is working fine?

Either way, tommy has the right idea. If the condenser isn't able to cool as efficiently then your high side pressures will be higher or build up faster, thus causing the fan to come on more often. A simple test is to spray a decent amount of cold water at the condenser with the a/c on, this simulates ram air from driving, and see if the fan gets requested on as often, I'd almost guarantee that it doesn't. So if that's the case then your condenser just needs cleaned.

itr and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.