Entering trucking because...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by CaliforniaJellyroll, Jun 17, 2015.

1. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Hey people. I don't want to tell my life story. I'm eligible for a grant to go to CDL school (thanks to the masses of people who walk away from the recruiter lies and company misconduct, I'm guessing), so I'm jumping through the hoops.

Why? Well, I've lost everything, I've been couching it for years, no home of my own, sold most of my belongings on Craigslist or at yard sales, no privacy (no bedroom), learned to sleep in just about any conditions, even easier now that I have a cpap and my oxygen levels are in the normal range...(Thank you to the taxpayers who are making that treatment possible for me.)

I'd rather be wrenching on my car than working in an office, wearing boots instead of fancy stuff, I like the challenge of camping and going places I've never been, and I get bored so easily I think I've sabotaged all my desk jobs. I only think experiences are worthwhile if there's a good story to tell afterward.

Getting $2,000 a month sounds like a miracle right now if I could get it.
    Hope I'm in the right place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Where ever you're getting your grant from ought to be able to provide some sort of direction for you to start knocking on door's.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  4. CaliforniaJellyroll

Jun 15, 2015
    Thanks dca. It's a business organization related to the unemployment office... Nobody there knows about trucking per se... They're just helping me get the WIA grant.

I have really learned a lot from reading forums and watching Youtube videos.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Good Luck

Plenty of opportunities out there.

6. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Watkins Shepard is a decent job. Tractors are ok equip... trailers look kind of ratty.. around .40cpm and $20 per drop. They mainly do LTL furniture delivery so a lot of times you'll make that $20 for putting off 3 pcs of furniture..or 20pcs. Loads vary from 4 to 25 drops over 1 to 5 states taking 1 to 4 days to complete.

I DO NOT work for this company, but I have done LTL furn over the road my entire 25yr career and I love it. You're in and out of the truck constantly, getting exercise, interacting with customers.

If you are against touching your freight , THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU.

hope I've been some help.

If it helps , I've made $90- $95,000yr doing this as a company driver and sleep every night... but you have to be a hard worker. CAN'T BE LAZY

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Reason for edit: Autocorrect spelling issues
  7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Truck stops have a rack with paper ads and pamplets, speak with the company you apply to about a class / school / education. You might look up trucking schools online, give them a call and ask questions.

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  9. CaliforniaJellyroll

Jun 15, 2015
    Watkins Shepard emailed me back saying they have "better qualified applicants at this time." I guess not everyone responds to applicants without a CDL. Yes, I'm in the big dry bowl of central California.

10. CaliforniaJellyroll

Jun 15, 2015
    So i'm editing this entire message. Delete!

Now, I'm thinking about how hard it might be to enroll in a community college. The nearest one offering trucking is 2 hours away by car. And it's the only one offered in CA --- and it's not PTDI cert. Really. The only one in this huge state and it's not PTDI. It might be worth it. IDK...

11. CaliforniaJellyroll

Jun 15, 2015
    Anyways, hi all, sorry for the talking out loud to myself on the HELLO thread. o_O

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.