Ever run into fake military veterans in their travels, better yet call them out?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by loose_leafs, Oct 18, 2014.

1. gnewb12

gnewb12 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2015
    I'm a navy vet and that really pissed me off the first time I saw it. Ppl always have no idea what ribbons mean... Can't get their commands or aors right or use references from movies and tv. Idk why ppl have to pretend to be something they aren't. I only served 8 years and take pride in that... But I also a close friend that passed in service and a few that got injured in battle... Imposters tarnish both others service and our countries image... Wish police would inforce those laws as much as they do in our proffesion as drivers now

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I love watching some faker getting grilled by a real vet! My favorite was when some clown claimed Marine Force Recon, and ran into a former Gunnery Sgt. And former Drill Instructor! I haven't laughed that hard in years watching that idiot get verbally flawed alive by a real Marine![emoji23]

texasbbqbest Thanks this.
  4. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    View attachment 79750 butcher holler.jpg af stolen valor.jpeg sgm davis.jpg

Chinatown and icsheeple Thank this.
  5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I'm not up on military awards, but do I detect both Air Cavalry and Airborne on a USAF uniform? Guess that kid grabbed everything "air" he could, huh?

6. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    My uncle and two grandparents served. They taught me an interesting way to spot a fake. If they talk about the battlefield without being asked...

Either way, I might not always agree with the why, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating the who. If I see a vet, I thank them. I've gone so far as to buy a few dinner if they just looked like they wanted to be left alone.

It doesn't matter to me what or where you served... If you did, that's enough for me.

So to anyone here who is either posting, or simply lurking (sign in and contribute!) and you served... Thank you.

Oh, and from those pictures... One might assume you can spot a fraud using the same rules of spotting a wannabe. Too much shiny ####, mouth open wide, and knows too much until asked a question.

Chinatown and thedrifter Thank this.
  7. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    If I remember correctly, most branch specific awards, unless the are extremely high (like legion of merit, bronze star, purple heart) cant be mixed between services on one uniform.

In other words, I'm pretty sure that even if you served in both branches, you can't wear an army service ribbon, army achievement medal, army commendation medal, etc on an air force uniform if you are currently serving in the air force (with prior army service)

Anyway, he practically has more ribbons than Grant, Patton, Pershing and Schwarzkopf combined, and most people with even the slightest knowledge of military would know he is a faker.

I forget the story on him, but I guess he showed up to some Air Force function dressed like that, completely oblivious to what he was doing. I guess he was grilled royally over it, but a kid his age might not know better or understand just how wrong it is.

What really gets me is something that was stated on here already, "only a few hundred Navy Seals served in Vietnam, and I've met over half of them already, all truck drivers."

8. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN

That's one thing I bought up in my first post, most of the old Vietnam/Korea/WW II vets I see don't come up to you and start a random conversation out of nowhere about burning napalm and splattered body parts.

There were still a few Vietnam Vets serving in the late 1990s when i was in the Army, Most of them high ranking Command Sergeant Majors or Officers. And the only thing I learned from them is:

1. They hate me. They hate you. They hate everything.
    2. "Stay off the f@(*&in grass!"

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  9. bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Virginia
    The kid wearing USAF MSgt stripes is a classic example of this.

http://www.militarycorruption.com/androsky.htm

He has since passed away.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=40011

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. WesternEmpire

WesternEmpire Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Arcade, NY
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. loose_leafs

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    with 2 stars to boot

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.