Ever run into fake military veterans in their travels, better yet call them out?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by loose_leafs, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I was Navy. Saw those Seals training in Coronado, CA. Those guys running on the beach with what looked like a piece of telephone pole on their shoulders. Was thinking, "Wow, that really looks like fun; if I wasn't so hung over I might volunteer to be a Seal."

One question to ask when a guy claims to be a Navy Seal; "Can you balance a ball on your nose?" If the guy has a dumbfounded look on his face and says, "Huh?", then he's a phoney. A real Navy Seal will laugh.

I've run into several phoney war heros over the years. I don't call them out on it because I don't really care enough to exert any energy over it. When they start their stories I just say, "Hummmmm" and walk off.

I really was in a combat situation with a knife and broken beer bottle and emerged unscathed; those girls in that Olongapo, Philippine brothel will never forget that night. Like a good veteran I don't discuss that with my family; some memories are better left buried in the back of our mind. Sometimes the wife will ask "Why are you just sitting there smiling?"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    207nomad, Dan.S and Kindle Thank this.
  3. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Eh, The way I see it, Put it on the resume and life goes on. Phoneys up scaling their duties take it too the extreme need shot in the face.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  4. shane1984

shane1984 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Jackson, TN
    This page is awesome. I'm still active duty waiting to see if I get approved for early seperation for employment. I have heard all kinds of stories from soldiers still in the military that don't make sense. Unfortunately its not just the people not in the military that try to be what they're not.

5. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    My youth pastor was a Marine.. He never talked about it and was a really awesome guy.

Wasnt much of a smiler though. When he did smile though, you knew you were in trouble and better talk to him before he talked to you.

Veterans, real vets, are pretty awesome people. What they do talk about fascinates me. It's what they don't talk about that I thank them for I guess.

Im not in the service, but I think the issue is more impersonation. Wear what you want, but don't pretend you're a somebody.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I see fakers all the time. I rarely pay them any mind. I currently wear a black ball cap with Marines and the emblem stitched across it. I have people tell me Semper Fi very often.

A few years ago I put together a uniform to wear at a veterans day event. I wore one of my old dress shirts. I barely managed to button it up. I bought trousers, belt and cover at a surplus store and a good pair of military Oxford shoes that took a spit shine. I got a haircut for the occasion, not high and tight but well trimmed on the sides and back and wore the three ribbons I earned and marksmanship badges. I was never in battle so I have no chestfull of medals.

At the event I was grilled and videotaped by a couple of young stolen valor guys. They asked me questions like "Where did you attend recruit training? What was your mos? What kind of PFT and range scores did you get?" I gave all the right answers and they thanked me for serving.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Let me preface my statement that my family has a history of Soldering dating back to approximately 1650 more or less if not flat earlier, we dont know yet, records are really thin. First against the Crown before there was a America and later for America in many wars.

Me personally as a deaf man is FLAT NOT qualified to even enlist. Unlike the Israelis who do use deaf people in their military among other disabled people whose limitations are actually a asset to the State.... I grew up seeped in our history paid for in blood and tears.

I have found actual vets including my ex totally quiet and go about thier lives honorably.

What I HAVE seen on the road all my life when someone loudly brags about things that are improbable... (With perhaps a heap of BS...) they get approached by one or two vets who ask them for particular information in a gently steel voice. Three times they were genuine and the result is a evening that is pretty interesting to behold. However, that's pretty rare to me in a truckstop enviornment when someone starts bragging too loudly and is approached. I would witness a form of questions given by actual vets to this person and he is quickly revealed to be a fraud.

I don't know always what happens to these people who are made known into frauds in public at the dinner counter inside the old 76 or wherever. But generally we dont see or hear from them again.

I have been somewhat less clear about particular situations that I have witnessed inside and outside of a given truckstop building when these frauds push it. They are too soft and bleed pretty easily. And basically got what they have coming to them. No police allowed. (In fact some where off duty police who were vets themselves who were "Fed up" with the braggard.

I don't know about today's PC situation, but with this internet Im pretty certain that there are still braggarts who cannot shut up and are made to be shut up. And then traced.

Arkansas has had a couple I can recall in the media when they were uncovered in commision of some sort of crime faking behavior as a vet. But that's pretty.. rare but does happen.

Ive said all I can say here, I hope and support the efforts of vets to police their own with honor and uncover true frauds. But it is a problem in which I have not equipped personally to do that type of challenge. I leave that to the Vets. When you spend a life time in a Tavern situation when people come to drink and tell stories, once in a while you witness that sort of challenge as well. But it's extremely rare for that specific problem to come up in our place. Because there is like a 5 foot high USMC Decal on the airconditioning equiptment behind the bar in the walkway. That tends to keep the frauds out.

Flashdrive7 Thanks this.
  8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Easiest way to spot any Spec Op in Public......he/she is the quiet mild mannered individual you don't notice---except for the rare time--a polite move/manuever is required---ie-waiting to hold a door...or a polite Thank you/yes sir maam is necessary....These types of duty are well trained mindset.....Ask me how I know--lol

9. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    The mannerisms you described could be me. I was anything but special ops. I was a communication spec. The closest I got to combat was on guard duty with an infantry regiment in Okinawa. We had to quell a riot at the main gate.

10. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    Last week I delivered at a navy station in southern California. The young MP at the gate was on top of his duties. After receiving his instructions I told him I was an old marine myself ,( I jettisoned the animosity between Marine Corps and Navy years ago) and thanked him for his service. He saluted me smartly and replied "It's a privilege, sir"

My salute to all who have served, present and past.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.