Excessive oil blow by

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by TruckerDL, May 1, 2016.

1. TruckerDL

TruckerDL Bobtail Member

May 1, 2016
    Possible sources for excessive oil comming out the blowby tube. Coating passenger side of truck. Maxxforce 13. 2013 prostar.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    It probably getting ready to self destruct.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The crank case oil separator has failed. Replace it along with the base plate that holds the oil jet nozzle.

Big toy repair and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  5. TruckerDL

TruckerDL Bobtail Member

May 1, 2016
    Is this something that can be done in my shop or do I need to bring it to dealer

6. TruckerDL

TruckerDL Bobtail Member

May 1, 2016
    Actually I meant the vent tube. I think the meaning is understood correctly buy just want to clarify just in case

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Depends how much experience in general you have. Not a terrible job, but not really for a beginner either. Doesn't have to be done at the dealer.

trulytex Thanks this.
  8. ejd1

ejd1 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2018
    I have a 2012 International Durastar with a Maxxforce DT engine (garbage truck). I've had no engine oil leaking from it at all, and then all of the sudden one morning I went out and there was at least a cup or more of engine oil on the ground. There was zero oil leaking until that day. I brought the truck to the local International dealership/repair shop. They told me that it has excessive blow by and probably needs to have the engine overhauled. I can't believe that it went from ZERO blow by on Monday to needing an engine overhaul Tuesday. I don't think they know what they're talking about. Every time I bring them my truck they aren't 100% sure what the cause of the problem is, they charge me huge amounts of money and MOST of the time the problem is still there and then they tell me I need more done to fix the same problem. There are little to no other service choices around here. Can anyone else tell me this likely this. The DPF light comes FREQUENTLY and they've already cleaned and replaced parts to resolve that and it hasn't worked.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    First step is to pin point where the oil is leaking from and go from there. I agree, it is fishy to be fine one day and need an overhaul the next day if the engine runs the same.

ejd1 Thanks this.
  10. ejd1

ejd1 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Thank you Heavyd. The repair shop said it is ALL coming out the blowby tube. That's my concern. What else could it be. I can not believe that the truck engine needs an overhaul as it has not had a drop of oil leak at all, and one night it has 1+ cups under it. The engine did NOT go bad overnight, no way. Also it has just over 200,000 miles on it.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It probably a bad crankcase oil separator.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.