excessive regen cycles 14.9L ISX 2008 volvo

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by sedurick, Jul 4, 2013.

1. sedurick

sedurick Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    It all started when I got this truck, a 2008 Volvo 670 with 14.9 Cummins ISX, almost constant regeneration cycles lasting 30-45mins with maybe 30min breaks in between. Have had the DPF cleaned and ash burned out, but still regens on the same cycle.

Every so often a Volvo OEM fault code of MID 128 SID 360(380?) FMI 11 pops up active, but goes inactive after a while and the constant regens resume. Does not regen when the fault code is active.

Almost zero oil consumption, maybe half a gallon every 10k miles. Zero coolant consumption, and no check engine light, ever.

Fuel mileage is normal, I haul max weight up steep hills pretty often, about 6.6mpg, maybe a little less.

Everything functions normally, however if this is indicative of a problem I would like to have it fixed now instead of it bankrupting me down the road.

Ive been thinking maybe one of the sensors in the DPF is going bad/in the wrong place.

Just wondering if anyone else may have some insight into what is causing this and/or suggestions on what to check? Any advice/ideas would be welcome. The cheaper the better :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. manasteel

manasteel Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2012
    could need to clean or replace the 7th injector, not spraying enough fuel to get the doc up to temp to do a successful burn. could have a plugged or stuck dpf differential pressure sensor so the ecm thinks it needs a regen. should throw a fault code for to frequent of regen. a good tech wont have any trouble making the repair, hard part is finding a good tech.

sedurick Thanks this.
  4. sedurick

sedurick Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    the mechanic said they cleaned the 7th injector when they took the DPF off for cleaning, however the pressure sensor sounds like a good idea, should have mentioned the 7th injector was cleaned, thats my fault.

Also, I just found out from cummins about 30 mins ago that the cummins fault code that corresponds to that Volvo OEM code is 1664 Catalyst Missing - Condition Exists. The code only goes active from time to time though. Does this make any sense to you at all?

5. sedurick

sedurick Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The DOC is another part of your aftertreatment system. This is another section bolted in front of the DPF. When your 7th injector is spraying, the fuel hits this and basically ignites to provide higher regen temps that are required to burn the trapped soot into ash that has been collected inside the DPF. Weak or malfunctioning 7th injectors, or a bad DOC will cause your problem. Since the injector has been cleaned you may need to focus your attention on the DOC. The injector needs to be flow tested. The DOC also needs to be cleaned out and should be been cleaned when the DPF was cleaned. There is a precious metal coating that creates a catalysis chemical reaction to create the heat during a regen. If coating is plugged up, or deteriorated the DOC will do nothing. The 1664 code is for the ECM not seeing any temperature increase across the DOC. This will cause an abort condition and the regen will not run.

NoCoCraig and sedurick Thank this.
  7. sedurick

sedurick Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for your replies guys, I definitely have a better idea of how the aftertreatment system works now that you guys broke it down for me.
    Im thinking since the 7th injector could cause both of my problems, I'm going to have that checked first, and if that checks out then move to the DOC & sensors.
    Thanks for your replies guys will keep updated on what I found out so maybe someone else reading this with similar symptoms can save themselves some $$$$

8. sedurick

sedurick Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    so i finally decided to take it to the shop, shame on me. Had other stuff to get done so I decided to have them check out the regen issue. I wish I would have left well enough alone.

they checked the dpf and catalyst, neither looked in great shape but they were ok for now. they checked all the sensors, seemed to be working fine. Flow tested 7th injector and it read 1.7 ml(?) when it should have been at 4. Does this sound right?

replaced the 7th injector, cleaned catalyst and dpf. So I'm going down the road happy because Im thinking all my problems are solved. Nope, on a 300 mile trip I ran 6 regen cycles before the fault came up and it didnt regen at all after that. Noticed a power gain when the fault code went active aswell. No check engine light or anything. But I guess I know it wasnt the 7th injector now I guess.

Any other ideas? Im kind of thinking I'm just going to run it until a real problem presents itself, done dumping money into the truck trying to get this emissions stuff to work right.

9. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Man, it sounds like you stole my truck. I wish I could figure this problem out. We have an appointment at Cummins in two weeks. If we figure anything out I will let you know.

10. Rawze

Rawze Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2013
    inmytruck
    There is a very well known solution to your problems, not kidding here. I have seen this hundreds of times. Here is the solution, but you have to solve this yourself, because NO shop is going to do it for you!!!

pay particular attention to the section '<>Determine/Remove the soot buildup in the EGR system:'

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...3-cummins-isx-cm871-technical-discussion.html

I don't care much for the praise, but there are some pics this guy posted after he did his...

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...cm871-regen-temps-question-3.html#post3447479

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    NoCoCraig, Markvfl and sedurick Thank this.
  11. sedurick

sedurick Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrisburg, PA
    i see what you were saying there. also in the 2nd link the map of the cummins engine is extremely helpful in figuring out what some of this is.

btw I disabled regen all day today and didnt get the "regen needed" warning,check light, or anything, just ran a manual one at the end of the day. So if its not filling up I wonder why it goes into so many regens on its own during my trip if I let it. Considering just running a manual one at the end of every day.

next thing up is checking that differential sensor in the dpf.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.