Expedite Companies, Who's the best?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by BKahuna, May 27, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I have never heard of cargo van freight that wasn't cheap. The $1.20 a mile they are advertising for straight trucks is too cheap for expedite.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The advice I give is to look at your needs and goals then look for a company that will fit your needs and goals.

The other part of my advice is do not drive for a van owner, if you can't afford a van, you have no business in expediting.

AztecHybrid_810 Thanks this.
  4. JetAgeHobo

JetAgeHobo Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Solvang, CA
    Actually, I've been trying to sort out the income potential of expediting in cargo van or sprinter, on the AVERAGE per mile side. Considering the jump from local courier to straight expediting. Right now I'm averaging $ 0.80 a mile, but I'm including the deadhead miles from home to the first route pick up (28 miles daily) and the deadhead from the last drop off to home. So not sure if the 80 cents a mile is a fair assessment. Seems like I need to know the secret handshake:biggrin_25523:to find out the info.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    A few years ago I was interested in expediting and contacted the FedEx Custom Critical recruiter. She sent me printouts from the previous year showing average pay , miles , availability , and more of every class of truck contracted to them.

6. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    With the right company, you can do $35k in a van GROSS without killing yourself.

If you get in good with a proactive company, then $60k GROSS is possible

BUT that means working on the road like OTR.

As for the FedEx sheet showing the average pay, take that with a grain of salt and think about it seriously, that's an fleet average and with their move to a flat rate a few years ago, a lot of people left.

WesternSky Thanks this.
  7. JetAgeHobo

Jun 22, 2008
    Solvang, CA
    So I got the nomenclature right, GROSS is B4 fuel, maintenance etc? If things hold out I'm on line to be somewhere in between those figures GROSS contracted to the courier company I"m working with now, some long hours some days but home every night. My first goal is to get to a steady 1K/week, not sure that's going to happen with the size van I have, standard WB CV. There's opportunity do deliver a lot of left over dock high freight, but it tends to be bulky furniture, hot tub covers, etc. and I'm not maximizing my income potential, and leaving freight at the dock also. If I meet up with a decent pre-owned 177WB Sprinter 2500 that's not beat to heck and is reasonably priced, may have to take a hard look at it. In the meantime changing business set up, getting educated as much as I can about the business, etc. I've set up businesses before, both in U.S. and overseas, so not a newbie at that, just learning about this one. I thought FDA regulations were tough...

8. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes.

Gross is the gross income from the company you are working for. You are going to be a contractor and at the end of the year get a 1099 with the total money they gave you through your settlements.

IF you are making the money you need to make where you are right now, stay there. Expediting is not a home every night thing.

1K a week is doable but not with a van for the most part - NET that is. gross maybe you'll break 1k somewhat every week or so but the thing many don't get is you have to look at this as not a weekly income type of business, but judge the work by the month and time of year.

FDA regs? which one's? I had to work under many and EPA regs too.

9. JetAgeHobo

Jun 22, 2008
    Solvang, CA
    Figured that was B4 expenses, but just wanted to make sure. Couldn't use my CV for expediting, too old, would have to upgrade anyway, for sure have to go the Sprinter route either way.

A few years ago back I had my own medical supply business, importing disposable stuff such as N95, surgical masks, gloves and such under my own brand. Had to register with FDA,provide testing data, certifications, etc. Product labeling had to be just so. Also doing product development for another company, all fun and games. Dealing with the FED's fairly straightforward, Illinois for state stuff is another matter.

And yeah, for some reason this week is "crickets" - not hearing much but the chirping of crickets (or is it locusts) instead of calls from the dispatcher. Dedicated account slow too. Expect it to pick up once school starts in this part of the country. Luckily I've got some freelance consulting work coming up to take up the slack. Yeah, working 2 jobs, that's the ticket!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Farm2Fleet does expediting, give em' a call; check the website. Pick your loads type company.

mp4694330 and rollin coal Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    F2F hands down the best for expediters, no company does things how we do, allows their contractors the kind of operational freedom.. ..except for Landstar. With Landstar though one is limited, even though they do have lots of first rate true expedited freight.. ..one has to find it though and make the right connections. Not impossible nor difficult from what I can see but the opportunity at F2F is more dynamic.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

mp4694330 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.