Expediter fright is it drying up ?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Plim-Don, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Plim-Don

Plim-Don Light Load Member

Dec 22, 2012
    Detroit
    Been doing expidite for three years now but seem like loads are drying up is anybody els having a problem getting loads ?

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Could it be the time of the year. I know someone posted, on a flatbed link, that freight was slow and they were trying to pay real low on the prices.

4. Plim-Don

Dec 22, 2012
    Detroit
    Well they say tha. t but i drove the last two winters and there was alot of loads at all times ..the only time i was not driving was when dot shut the interstates down. other than that the wheels kept rolling .

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yep. Slow now, and the brokers are offering less and less of the pie. I'm working on developing direct business with shippers to supplement the broker business.

6. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    I've been watching the cycle for most of the 32 years now that I've been in the trucking industry. We were buried in work the last 6 winters here. This winter has been slower. I kinda seen it coming. When it's going to be a busy winter for us freight tends to slow down the week of Thanksgiving, kind of a stall and then it's business as usual. This year the stall came the last week of October. Right away I knew something wasn't right.

All this said, we're still trucking along here thanks to the Brokers and Shippers we regularly run for. If it wasn't a election year I'd be saying get ready because by mid to the end of February we should be very busy. This year, with all the political bull, and everything else that's going on in the world I guess we will just have to wait and see. Either way we will be ready here for whatever happens.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Plim-Don

Dec 22, 2012
    Detroit
    I seen it comming also im still a rookie but i been out there three winters ice and snow .They say it get's slow but in the three year's i was out there it did not slow down for the expidite driver. Im sitting this winter out i'll get back out there tho .

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  8. TA1199

TA1199 Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Staten Island, NY
    I run a straight truck and saw my best months of the year in September and October. November and December were busy right up until a couple of days before Christmas and I shut it down until January 5th. This week I had two loads and now I am booked for 4 of the 5 days next week, which is more or less a normal week for me.

9. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yeah you never really know how it's going to play out. It can be a crazy business.

Friday we we were busy pre booking loads for today. And this morning the phone lines were smoking and we managed to book another 9 loads within the first hour in the office.

10. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sat all last week - am still sitting this week. There are some loads showing up, but I'm seeing rates of $.25 to $.75 per mile. Pretty low even for partials. (I'm limited to 20 feet 9,500 lbs remember). I could manage $.75 to $1.00 per mile in a pinch, but not if I have to deadhead back. And I'm not finding backhauls.

Oh well. Put another log on the fire........

11. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    That doesn't sound good, hope you can get something going pretty soon. This weeks been busy so far for us. A little on the slow side today but we're managing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.