Experience with YRC ( includes YRC, New Penn, USF Reddaway and Holland

Discussion in 'YRC' started by ACH1130, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Nick2001

Nick2001 Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Near Akron, Oh
    I work for YRC now. Starting pay is 17,87 an hour or .45 cpm on the road. Benefits are FREE after 60 days. Union dues are $150 buy in and then $48. a month.

If you are within driving distance of NYC, you will probably go there.

Typical nights out are about 3 beds (where they pay for and put in a motel) and then pick you up and take you back to the terminal.

You can stay out longer if you chose, assuming you have the hours left. Up to 70 in 8 days, if I'm not mistaken.

There is NO 34 hour reset, you just take 58 hours off and by then you've earned enough of your hours back that you can drive again.

Radman and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Yea that no reset worked out if you were able to do it right... I used to have enough hours to keep running all I wanted

4. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    If hired on city p/d would I be on call or set slot? Recruiter said a lot of time would be on the dock with some driving. Just want to know if I would be getting enough hours to pay the bills, this would be for Dallas/Irving hub. I'm really interested, recruiter I spoke with said they would train me for my A while I work pt casual on dock for 3 months.

5. Dodgeman

Dodgeman Light Load Member

May 18, 2012
    Northeast Pa.
    Is new penn out of Dunnmore Pa a decent place to work?

6. Dodgeman

May 18, 2012
    Northeast Pa.
    My dad was a union man. I worked two union jobs. My most recent sucked. No OT and ONLY paid for 40 hours of the 60 we worked. UNIONS AREN'T WHAT THEY WERE. THEY DID NOTHING FOR ME. All they do is take money. It's sad,because at one time union jobs were great. Now they are terrible.

7. Sammycando

Sammycando Bobtail Member

May 14, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not all Union jobs are bad...I left YRC because my wife hated me living in a hotel.
    I was in the laborers union for 2 years (in the 80's)...excellent pay and benefits, My friend who stayed just retired with $3K a month pension for life (better then my father-n-law from GM management (non-union) ) !
    I was in the International Firefighters Union for over 24 years and have a pension of $2350 per month with cost of living increases for life (I know retired Firefighters who draw more pension $ now than what they made when they were working).
    My wife is a 20+year UPS Teamster with a pension coming when she retires that is better than most full-time retirements anywhere and she is PART-TIME !! She also makes as much as most full-time workers and only puts in 17-20 hours a week...God Bless the Teamsters!!!
    You have to do your research and dig for the Gold...It's not as easy to find as years ago, but it's out there.

already gone Thanks this.
  8. Dodgeman

May 18, 2012
    Northeast Pa.
    Yeah It's definitely not what it was in the 80's. How's New Penn to work for? Anyone know?

9. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York
    New penn should be decent, road or city?

10. imtimmy

imtimmy Bobtail Member

May 13, 2015
    DFW
    Just got home from the YRC job fair in Irving, TX. Basically if you have a pulse and all your limbs your hired on, Lol. They're looking to put on over a 100 people this summer, manager said freight has been way up for bout a year now, sales doing good. Had a variety of people there with different backgrounds, some otr drivers, some tanker guys, some guys with an A license but no experience and lacking all endorsements, a lot of veterans showed too. So they had a room with computers in case you didn't have an application in yet and a bunch of chairs as we did round robbin in line to speak with a recruiter. After that we sat separate groups, OTR, linehaul, city p/d and dock. In groups of 7 at a time we listened to a manager tell us bout whats going on with the company, what they're looking for and what each of us is seeking with YRC. He told us everyone in the room is getting hired today unless someone says something stupid, which someone did in another group he told us. Than we all pee'ed for their drug screen, and wait for the job offer to come through in email within 2 weeks. Manager explained that Irving is the worst productivity hub in the nation and they want to change that asap. He told us about 50% freight get's docked there where as it's about 30% at other YRC hubs. He explained that since the merger a lot of resentment towards management and kinda amongst the drivers and dock workers too. Roadway guys Yellow guys get into it a lil because of all the crap that both have been handed since merger. He explained it's nice to just have new employees come in that don't sway Roadway or Yellow, just YRC and want to work, that's what they are shooting for. In the end, the customer has to get service for obvious reasons. So they will train me for my A license and I get a job at the same time. This is what I was hoping for. He said they have drivers who are just trainers now, be it dock, driving, getting paid what they make as drivers. On my way to the car I met a city driver getting ready to go out, real nice guy, he's been there 20 years, started with Roadway. He loves his job, makes good money and goes home every night. He told me YRC will train you for whatever position. I also was not aware that YRC had a hub in Garland, just outside Dallas. So Garland, Irving, Ft.Worth, 3 hubs making up the 5th largest distribution among all YRC DC centers. I'm excited!

already gone and gsmith2332 Thank this.
  11. hollanddock

hollanddock Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I'm a dockworker at usf holland at the Joliet terminal. I love working the dock. A lot of the guys drive for half their shift then finish off on the dock for the remainder of their shift. These guys are getting older now (60s), and are going to retire soon. Many of them come off as grumpy, but they're actually really helpful if you have questions or need assistance loading freight.

Shaggy, already gone and imtimmy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.