Experiences with Schneider Finance

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dieselfuelonly, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'm looking to get some information from drivers who went through or are currently going through financing a truck with Schneider.

I told myself I'd stay away from this... but I'm curious and just want to know some more information about it - not much is available on their website.

I'll start off by saying I'm not trying to get myself into leasing a $70,000 truck. I'd be looking at one of the older, <$30,000 trucks they have available.

My ideal truck would be something with a N14 Celect+, 18spd, aero cab. But I know no company like Schneider is going to finance an older high mileage truck like that, at least not from what they offer on their website.

I'd be looking at something with a minimum of a 13spd, of the newer engines I'd prefer an ISX but from the selection I've seen most of the SFI trucks are running Cats or Detroits. I might be settling for a C15.

Anyway, on to some questions:

Can a newer driver with less than a years experience even be considered? Or do they only allow experienced drivers to finance trucks?
    Do they allow you to test drive and/or take the truck to a shop to have it looked over/dynoed?
    Can someone with no O/O experience finance a truck and go straight into the "choice" program where you choose your loads, or do they require a year of O/O experience (running their milage-based forced dispatch program) instead?
    I've done a little reading and read that they offer some kind of a maintenance program? What is the deal with this? Worth it or is it a ripoff? (I can only imagine the Atlanta OC "mechanics" working on my truck... LOL)
    And of course, the ever important question - those that have gone through this - how is it working out for you?

=====

I know I will catch some flak for being a new driver that wants to jump into being the captain of his own ship... but I think done right I could make it work.

I have no debt now, I don't own a house, my monthly expenses basically revolve around insurance for my pickup truck and services like my cell phone and mobile internet that I use while I'm on the road.

I'm not married, don't have any kids, and am happy to stay out on the road for a while.

I have experience working on these trucks - I'd much rather get my hands dirty and do whatever maintenance I can myself, time permitting of course. The types of maintenance that will nickel and dime you to death paying someone else to do it I am perfectly happy and capable of doing myself.

Let the flamewar begin...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    Why not the detroit? And your right on track with an older truck but you have so much homework to do. Time in has nothing to do with it,there are plenty of O/Os with years in that have alot of opinions but little success to back up thier talk.

Bigdaddy00 Thanks this.
  4. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks for the reply - as you said I know I have a ton of homework to do... just trying to start somewhere.

I have nothing against Detroits but I did not see any SFI trucks with 13spds and Detroits that were in my price range. Most of my experience working on these engines (meaning doing more than just fluid/filter changes) has been with older Cummins like the N14 and the little M11, some with the ISX. That's what I'm most comfortable with and is why I'd like to find a truck with one, but I have never seen SFI list an older truck with one of those engines in it, so I'd probably be looking at one of the ones with a Cat C15.

Hopefully this thread won't turn into a Cummins vs Cat vs Detroit internet rage fest...

5. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Time has something to do with the financing part! You have to have at least two years driving exp. to be considered.

6. Desert_Skies

Desert_Skies Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Victorville,CA
    If they wont provide you a lifetime ECM report,the service records and the ability to have an inspection including a dyno done by a third party I would run not walk to one of the other used truck dealers that will.

7. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    I wasn't aware SNBC would finance an outside unit....... They will certainly sell / finance you one of the orange jobs with mega fleet specs if you qualify.

So your saying they will finance an outside truck?

?????

8. JustinWaterboro

JustinWaterboro Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Porter, ME
    Before even seriously considering doing this Dieselfuelonly I would get yourself some more driving experience. Not being mean but it is very common for less-exp drivers to get into some kinda "accident" within their first year, even it's just bending the fearings or cracking/breaking those lovely bumpers. Only difference is that to fix those mistakes it will be costing you to fix. Also you need more exp with all the things associated with trucking as well not just driving exp so that you will be successful. Remember that if the wheels are not moving neither is your paycheck, difference is you still need pay the lease. But if still serious then also look into other 3rd-party financing of a truck and then bring it in as an O/O, you will probably get a lot better deals with lease options from 3rd-party.

MoGooder Thanks this.
  9. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    No, I don't think they will.

10. hobie57

hobie57 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Spoke to them last week they told me 6 months

11. leaseman

leaseman Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Read paperwork carefully to be sure there isn't any residuals you don't know about. We get guys calling us every week looking to finance a balloon payment they didn't know about. I want to be careful here not to falsely accuse Schneider of anything; they are a good company. Just read the documentation very carefully.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.