explain the 16 hour rule for OR drivers Please.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by sheestagirl, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Pharroh336

Pharroh336 Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    If your a driver that stays out nights here and there, you need to return to your home terminal for the previous 5 consecutive shifts to be eligible to use the 16 hour short haul exemption.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Please read this -

16-Hour Short-Haul Exception §395.1(o)

For drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) who drive locally, there is an exception to the 14-hour rule (which requires that drivers of property-carrying CMVs stop driving upon reaching the 14th consecutive hour after first coming on duty). The so-called "short-haul" exception allows these drivers to extend the 14-hour period by two hours once per week, under certain conditions.

A driver can drive a CMV after the 14th hour after coming on duty, but not after the 16th hour, IF he or she:

• Was released from duty at the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours, and
    • Returns to the normal work reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours, and
    • Has not used this exception in the previous 6 consecutive days, except following a 34-hour restart.
    Drivers claiming this exception remain subject to the 11-hour driving limit, but they essentially have an extra two hours in which to complete that driving.

Note that a 34-hour restart will allow a driver to use this exception more than once every 6 days, but a restart will not affect the requirement that the driver must have returned to the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours.

Short-haul drivers who normally use the 100-air-mile exception and do not complete a standard grid log will have to complete a log on days when they use the short-haul exception, because they are working beyond the 12-hour limit (see the 100-air-mile-radius driver topic for more information).

Note: There is no definition of "short haul" or "normal work reporting location." These terms are generally understood to refer to drivers who start from and return to the same location on a daily basis.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you don't find a place to park in those 10 minutes, then you are in violation. Try and trip plan better (for the most part, yes sometimes it is unavoidable)

-Steven

dupluM Thanks this.
  5. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    So in other words...pull over as soon as possible in that situation?

dupluM Thanks this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Yup. And don't get crazy about it. Just had a driver get a stern talking to from the Bow Hill scale in Washington (notorious nit-pickers) for logging 14.25 hrs. Had he falsified the logs, it'd not been pretty.

7. Rcbutler62

Rcbutler62 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2016
    The 16 hour rule can only be used....
    Once every 5 working days (not calender days) and only if the driver has returned to their home base every one of those days.
    If the driver cannot return and must layover the 5 day cycle restarts with the first trip that returns the driver to their home base.
    It can be used to extend the on duty not driving hours, it cannot extend the driving hours.
    The number of miles isn't relevant as long as the driver cannot return to their home base daily.
    It is not designed for OTR drivers, it's there for local and regional/dedicated drivers who can return to their home base daily.

8. Fester15

Fester15 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2016
    What if my last delivery is in the same city that my terminal is in. I know that we don't have to log drive time for multiple detours within the same city. Can I extend past the 16 hours in this case? I have a regular delivery that is about 3 miles from my terminal. This is in San Francisco so sometimes it takes up to an hour to travel these three miles.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I get SOOO angry when I hear of the company trying to give a trucker the boot to move beyond the limitations of the logs and HOS... its a form of fraud. Out of greed I imagine.

10. Fester15

Fester15 Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2016
    What if my last delivery of the night is in the same city as my home terminal? I know that we don't have to log drive time if we are making multiple drops within the same city. My delivery is about three miles from my plant but it's in San Francisco. So three miles may take me an hour to drive sometimes. Are we able to go past sixteen hours since we don't have to log this driving time?

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Home ternimal. Not delivery.

Make the dispatcher repower your load and take it down the street to deliver.

DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT uncle sam's law of going to the home ternimal on the 16. Dont.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.