Exposing log book tricks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jlkklj777, Jan 1, 2008.

1. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California

Wellllll, ........ let's just say it's doubtful that you'll be laughing.
    Although, depending on what your ghost's name is, the D.O.T. might
    find that it tickles their funny bone.

After that, your Safety Department might get a kick out of it.
    And you might just get a kick, right out the door.
    Be sure to leave that door open, just in case.
    Head-first into a door can be painful.
    And, as I'm sure you're aware,
    pain hurts.:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Another perspective I would like to throw out there is this: The DOT HOS regulations my actually cause drivers to drive tired.

Say you have a driver who is still green and does everything by the book 100%. Say he gets loaded at 9 PM and has the full 11 to drive.

He starts his driving and by 2 AM he is beginning to get sleepy. He knows if he stops to sleep he will run into the 14h rule and will "loose" the remaining 6 hours or part of it. So he keeps pushing and pushing driving through the night, even falling asleep briefly a few times for a second or two. Then finally shuts down at 8 AM.

OR

Or you have the Billy Big Rigger type who pulls over at 2 AM sleeps for a few hours and begins his driving at 6 or 7 AM then rewrites his log to be within the 14?

Who do you think is the bigger safety hazard? The "legal" driver who is forcing himself to drive or the "illegal" driver number 2 who took his 4 hour power nap and feels fine?

slabrunner, lonewolf4ad and AfterShock Thank this.
  4. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    I agree with ya there. I just wish that some of these people who make the laws knew the industry. I truly believe (or at least HOPE) that some of these laws are passed with the best interest of the truckers and the general public in mind, but how can you pass legislation without experience?

5. jedi_tev

jedi_tev Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Is someone speaking up my alley? I wouldn't do it unless they were wearing white (501st). It only works on the weak minded. "You don't need to see my log book. My truck isn't over weight. You can about your business. Move along, move along." :biggrin_2551:

6. jedi_tev

jedi_tev Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well couldn't the new guy take 2 hrs off in the sleeper and then finish his driving? As long as he logs another 8 off in the sleeper before 14 is up, it resets his 14 hr clock doesn't it? and what did he do before the 9pm load? I think that takes into factor as well. I could be that guy, so for me it would depend on what did earlier in the previous day, I just might take that load and get my 10 hr rest right out of the box so I can drive fresh starting in the morning. You're gonna have to rest and why get it now and not be an issue, than to wait and become one?

7. grandpawspeedy

grandpawspeedy Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Philadelphia,pa
    :biggrin_2554:Safety first,some time u gotta do what u gotta do,watch out 4 ur fellow driver he may watch out 4 u, u gotta do what u gotta do,but it's not all 4 u ,never 4 git about ur family,but do what u gotta do,because it will be tuff with out u,u may win ,u may loose,but make it home,so u can do what u gotta do. BE SAFE OUT THERE.:biggrin_25525:

8. miakica

miakica Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Great White North
    OK, here it goes...

Hamilton, ON to Sacramento, CA. Deliver there. Same day pickup in Salinas, Castroville, Delano and Bakersfield, CA. Going to Toronto, ON. Deliver to Toronto, ON.
    From Hamilton, ON to Sacramento, CA, stopped 3 times (WY POE, UT POE and in Elko, NV)
    From Bakersfield, CA to Toronto, ON, stopped 4 times(AZ POE, NM POE, scale at Joplin, MO and scale at I57, just before Effingham, IL). Heavy....scaled at the Hook in Barstow, CA at 79980 Lbs

Hamilton, ON -> Sacramento, CA -> 4 pickups in CA -> Toronto, ON.....Stopped 7 times by various DOT's, no tickets. Logbook checked 7 times by various DOT's. All legal, no violations....

Whole trip, 6.5 days, 5900 miles....No reset...

All legal, just use your brain

Cheers

9. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    :biggrin_2559:

How could you not be over your 70 hours once you crossed the border back into Canada?

10. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Is "Cheers" the name of your co-driver? :biggrin_25525:

I ran a team, dedicated gig runnin' 6,700 miles in 7 days ---
    which is around 957 miles a day, on average,
    and we sure didn't wear out the door hinges.

And you're claiming 907 miles a day average for 6 1/2 days,
    including deliveries and pickups? :biggrin_2551:

11. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    1) Must have logged leaving Hamilton at least 20 hours earlier than really did.
    2)Ommited a pick up or two in CA.

3) Must have squeezed a "restart" in their somewhere, the 70 hours runs out after about 3900 miles.

It's possible if you can handle running California to Toronto in 60 hours and sleeping 4 hours a night. Believe it or not this is how most produce transporters run.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.