facial hair?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Ducktart, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Oh I could get in SO MUCH TROUBLE responding to this post. Oh what the hell....
    If they are too frigging dumb to take safety seriously, who gives a right rip. And just to be politically correct here, I will add that IMNHO, that is true of ANYBODY who rejects intelligent safety rules. Not just Sihk types.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    Companies can have, and enforce a no facial hair policy when it comes to safety. OSHA, EEOC, and the Courts have said if the policy is for safety, those who choose not to shave can be terminated, or rejected during the hiring/probation process. It has been around for years, and companies can and will enforce it. I am not sure why folks would take a job, then compromise their safety, or anyone who has to rescue them.

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    These are the same people who buy a house near an airport, then complain about the noise...
    They are unbelievably stupid, and love being drama queens...

Ougigoug, RockinChair and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I haul a lot of asbestos and PCBs and required to wear a respirator when I do so I have to, but if I am bounced off to do something non hazmat I can grow it out, I just keep a trimmer with me in the truck

6. duckhead

duckhead Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2015
    We have some plants we load at where our load isn't hazmat but other loads out of the plant are. Plant has a policy of clean shaven plant wide. I know there are several we load at like that thus our company wide clean shaven policy.

7. Walt NJ

Walt NJ Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Wantage, NJ
    To those drivers who are told to shave their beard to wear a respirator, ask some questions. I managed a fleet of drivers making haz-mat chemicals, so I do know of what I speak.
    1. Will the company provide the respirator?
    2. Who will fit the respirator. You need to fit the respirator to the individual.
    3. How will filters be supplied. Different chemicals require filters require different filters. Using the wrong cartridge could kill you.
    4. How are the legally required test fittings handled. I believe every 6 months is the rule.
    In general, a respirator program is difficult to manage for an OTR operation. Quite different for a local operation where drivers are home daily. The respirator program is a regulatory nightmare, but a necessary as it could be a life or death situation.

So if you are at a customer who says you need to shave, ask them who provides the respirator. If you as a driver have the respirator, ask what cartridge(s) are needed. If you don't have a respirator, the customer needs to provide and conduct the fit test and all other duties. So you can see that the beard/respirator is BS as your company/carrier has the respirator program in place or the shipper/consignee does.

www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb

wis bang and JimmyWells Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.