Failed Road Skills Test Today

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RedTheTrucker, Jul 28, 2015.

1. RedTheTrucker

RedTheTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Need some advice all ready failed the cdl test twice so far

First time i passed the pre trip failed the backing because of the 90 then today i pass the backing got to drive and stalled due to dumping the clutch which is an auto disqualification

I am struggling not dumping the clutch/staliing during turns due to letting off of it to fast its like once the light turns green i jus think its time to go and then my upshift from my starting gear 3rd to 4th gear is never smooth

Any advice on loading clutch/avoiding dumping staliing?

TequilaSunrise and george stanley Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    biggest tip, pick a gear before you start around the turn , keep the gear until you complete ahten ease the clutch in and out(i am assumeing your are double clutching) IF you can get more time behind the wheel of the truck. you will get better

4. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Third time should be a charm?

Ya really shouldn't be having this much trouble with stalling the truck after going through school. Try to have the truck in the right gear before starting the turn.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Yes start in second and release slower it will be easier on driveline and harder to stall 3rd takes more practice and can be hard on clutch if done wrong

6. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    All the above posts are pointing you in the right direction. I was told to never shift when turning and ride the #### out of the clutch. I failed my first tests too. I was so nervous my clutch foot was doing the jitterbug. Keep at it you'll get.

george stanley Thanks this.
  7. Clamhammer

Clamhammer Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Just a few questions, please do not take this wrong ok.
    1 what type of tractor did you learn in?
    2. how long was your schooling
    3. did you have this problem during school? if so you need to get one on one with one of your instructors. with out seeing what you are doing would be moot and counter productive. Relax talk and work with your instructors.

8. truckerlife74

truckerlife74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Charlotte nc
    Best advice always slowly come off the clutch no exceptions until you become an expert. The gear to start off for you is 3, I would only use 1 or 2 if you are on a incline and fully loaded IMO Let the truck guide you, once you slowly come off the clutch give it gas but don't floor it. Slowly pushing on the gas.

RedTheTrucker Thanks this.
  9. RedTheTrucker

RedTheTrucker Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    School is about 4 weeks we trained in 10 speed Manual yes i had the problem in school but some days itll happen but i wouldn't stall itll jus be a bumpy start from 3-4-5

My school all ready has another class started so its almost like were out for dead doubt i would get any more help or drive time at this point its just pay another $100 for a test form and they'll let us use their trucks to retest im going to see if i could try to getanother hour of drive time but i doubt itll be any more than that my school sux

10. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Its been a while since I drove a 10 speed . Does the trailer your pulling have any weight in it . I'm just wondering if 3 gear isn't aliitle to high to start off in?

11. taxihacker66

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    Maybe I miss understood when your starting from a stop what gear are you using?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.