Family Dollar?

Discussion in 'Werner' started by Bosoxhater75, Jan 17, 2010.

1. wildcat2

wildcat2 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Lumberton,NC
    I haven't done FD OR DG but I have delivered to TJ Maxx and they are set up the same as FD,roller racks and floor load.There was one major difference and that was TJ Maxx does repacks.in other words they send stock out in boxes that they have received product in at the DC.Yes it is extremly hard work as Rum Runner says but you can mitigate some of the downsides with a little common sense.
    1.High temps-keep several bottles of water or a couple of sport drinks (Power-Ade,Gatorade) in the trailer while working and take breaks when you need them.If the store gripes,let them and point out the temp saying you don't want to have a heat stroke.
    2.Lifting-Yes it is repetitive and can strain muscles but you just have too work correctly.Use your legs to lift not your back.One good point is that you will burn a LOT of calories.:biggrin_25522:
    3.Driving vs. unloading time-yes you will burn up your hours but most of these accounts are dedicated so you will likely be home or getting a restart every week.

Now the one BIG issue with both those accounts is like TJ Maxx the are in small strip malls or in single lots with limited maneuvering room and NO docks.TJ was a single door (usually) a man door occasionally a roll-up,so you had to be set just right to get the rollers at the correct angle into the store.I did TJ when I first started all in the Mid-Atlantic area.:biggrin_25521:It taught me how to back up for sure.:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gsmith2332

gsmith2332 Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    OKC
    Does anyone have anyone have any input to offer on the FD account that is out of Odessa,Tx? Thanks

4. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip Light Load Member

May 20, 2010
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Hi gsmith. Did you decide not to go with WSE???

5. invalidacct

invalidacct Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I will be going back to Werner for the 3rd time next Wednesday. I first started with them back in 1998. Good to see all these positive posts here, I always got dogged being a Werner driver, but I always enjoyed it and rarely ever had any complaints. My biggest complaint was sitting in Laredo for 2 days waiting for a load to come home to San Antonio, lol. But it wasn't all that bad. I look forward to finally getting on this dedicated run. Good to see that you can make some good money on this account. See you out on the road soon!:biggrin_25514:

6. Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip Light Load Member

May 20, 2010
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Are the DG trailers 48 or 53 FT???

7. bigtex07

bigtex07 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Las Vegas,NV
    They run both. If your picking up from the dc on fri or sat night your load will be overweight 9-10 times

8. railtruckdriver853

railtruckdriver853 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2010
    memphis, tennessee
    odessa texas dist. center had some very rude employees their while i was with werner back in the summer of 2004.

9. DADDY419

DADDY419 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2010
    How many boxes are on a trailer's

10. amotormanf1

amotormanf1 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I have a year in with Werner, I was rejected by SWIFT, werner has a much better training program, and is much better setup. I have found no ware better to go. Family Dollar is driver a hand unload account. Many find it very difficult, you get week ends off on it. If u dont like it or dont want to hand unload, u can get off it and go OTR or get on no touch dedicated, its all here. Drive 48 states and you can take your time off any state and any town! Just call placement and u can work warever theirs a vacancy to fill.

11. 0220svtfocus

0220svtfocus Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2011
    northville, mi
    hey man just so you know i just got done with training in indianapolis in with werner, get ready for the most gruling 275 hours of your life, i promise you no matter what anyone says they dont know, your experience with werner will not be like anyone elses but i promise its a hell of a long time training.. i just got on family dollar today, and no you will not get what the recruter puts you on, when you get done with training or a week before your done CALL THE DRIVER PLACEMENT DEPARTMENT!!! do not listen to your trainer or SDM or anyone i had to call myself and get the account i wanted, now when your done with training if theres a spot open youll get on no problem just dont get your hopes up too high, my buddy just quit cause they told him his only option was to slip seat out for 3 weeks home for 3 days, non deticated and barely considerd regional, good luck bud, youl need it, hang in there its not fun but it is worth it, and even if you get hit with the waiting list like most people do, tough it out the list changes every day and just be persistant youll get what you want....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.