FARM FRESH 1969 359 PROJECT

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BIGZILLA, May 15, 2016.

1. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Did you get the plate that goes over the king pin with it??

It's like a tang that hangs behind the kingpin so the plate will rotate with the trailer, instead of the trailer rotating in the plate... then if I remember rite?? at a certain amount of turn, it releases the slide lock and the plate slides rearward,, giving more cab clearance.. They were designed for short bed trucks with cab clearance issues when you turn sharp...

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PeteyFixAll

Oct 26, 2015
    Non slide image.jpg
    Well now WTF? I took three other pics and don't know where they went!!! Anyway, think there's enough for you to get the idea. The seesaw sits between two pieces of channel iron so the pivot bolt takes weight but not push or pull! Simple, effective, and tough.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  4. BIGZILLA

BIGZILLA Heavy Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I'm not sure I follow so obviously I didn't get it. I will have to check with PullRite. If you have a pic of what you are referring to I would appreciate it.

5. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I like the look of the ramps too.

PeteyFixAll Thanks this.
  6. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I do get what you mean with the mount. Mine I think I'm going to hide a large steel plate under the aluminum plate for support and bolt clean through. The steel plate will be mounted to the cross member between the axles.

The one in my personal truck will probably go your route though. If it's still there on Monday when they open, I forgot to call the junk yard and have it set aside for me.

7. PeteyFixAll

Oct 26, 2015
    No Picture, I don't have a sliding hitch so have never actually seen the piece,,

Look up or search "PullRite Superglide capture plate"

Basically it keys the plate to the trailer so that the plate stays inline with the trailer when the plate rotates, with the trailer in a turn it unlocks the slider and the hitch shifts rearward. While you have the "capture plate" on the trailer, Do Not hook it with a regular hitch!! Stuff will get bent or broke when you turn!!!

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  8. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Thanks
    http://www.pullrite.com/products/superglide-quick-connect-capture-plates

9. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    2 hours, 3 busted knuckles, and a good bruise on my shin and all I got done so far today is removal of the remainder of the exhaust. Sounds great though. IMG_1813.JPG

Attached Files:

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  10. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I'm back, after spending most of the last 3 months dealing with some health issues, it's good do get the "all clear" and get my hands dirty again.
    Unfortunately, in my absence someone saw fit to take off with my 5th wheel, some of the exhaust parts, my air cleaner, and my aluminum plate. I was re-routing the exhaust anyway but I needed some of the parts.

I pulled the valve cover to get a number off the jake brake so I thought I would shoot a picture. Not bad for 48 years old.
    JACOBS BRAKE.jpg

Expect major changes in the next 2 weeks, If you're a purist you may want to turn away, this could be upsetting. I'm gonna Z the frame and drop the front end while I'm feeling energetic.

11. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Removed the door panels to repair the window mechanism that resulted in me removing the cover and I just had to see how it would look bare. LOL
    20170124_113343.jpg 20170124_113435.jpg

I don't know what they used for glue in '69 but #### that's hard to remove! Everything I touch turns into another 20 hour project. LOL

There is also some pitting so, given that I have 2 sheets of aluminum I took out of a Unibilt sleeper I scrapped (had 2, sold one) I'm seriously considering making new panels.

PeteyFixAll Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.