FARM FRESH 1969 359 PROJECT

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BIGZILLA, May 15, 2016.

1. BIGZILLA

BIGZILLA Heavy Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I did make it over there long enough to spring a leak in my radiator while charging the batteries. Simple fix though.
    IMG_1007.JPG

dngrous_dime Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    If it rained and the wind blew the way it did on Friday at Lake City he would need more than waterproofing.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  4. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    There were tornados north and south of us. It has cleared up and it's just now drying out. I'm headed over tomorrow to check that radiator leak, and finish cutting off the rear of the frame. Weather permitting of course.

5. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I was just wondering where this project went. I'm in.

:occasion5:

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  6. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Wow!

can you say, exxtttteeeeennnnddded hood!

:cool:

91B20H8 and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  7. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I've been slammed at work. I started pulling the drives and rear suspension but haven't had a moment to get back to finish. As of right now I am free half of Thursday so hopefully I can post some more disturbing photos.:D

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  8. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I LIKE!

I'm probably gonna go ahead and lose the front fenders and stretch out the front end in true hot rod fashion anyway. Just put the front axle out in front of the frame. That makes room to do something like that in the future, but it's not in the current budget. As I've said before I always wanted to do one with a mid-engine v12 or v16 mounted behind the cab but not with this aluminum frame.

If anyone knows someone restoring an old 359 when I remove the front fenders that frees up the fender lights (original front corner markers) and the steps at the back of the fender for someone's restoration! I'm open to offers.
    I cranked it up and turned it around so I can load the drives with a forklift after I remove them. When I did the left front drive locked momentarily. I set and released the break a few times, that didn't seem to help. So I locked and unlocked the axles (power divider) a few times and it freed up. I'm not sure that did it though, It might have just been the brake not releasing. I had that wheel lock up briefly the day I unloaded it from the step deck but it released almost immediately. I was applying brake when that happened. Any thoughts?

I've been going back and forth on running a single rear axle. I think my decision has been made. If I pull the suspension and move the rear forward the problem should be solved. I have someone interested in the front one with the power divider but I don't want to sell it to him without first knowing what caused the lockup.

Progress forthcoming.....

Bean Jr. and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  9. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Most likely it's a brake issue, a few probabilities.

1. Adjustment , too loose and throwing too far.
    2. S cam bushings, either tight (sticky dry grease/rust) or loose/shot will hang up
    3. Wear marks (flat spots in the S cam or rollers, or both)
    4. Froze rollers, or shoe pins
    5. Broken shoe return springs

Anyone of those will lock a wheel, and generally backing up slightly will release it, sometimes the slack or S cam will need a love tap and bang, release. adjusting them up tighter will actually help more than backing them off, when you back off you get more throw and invite more problems...

Oxbow and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  10. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Thanks, now that you say it I may have backed up when it released. I was nervous I was going be stuck blocking access for others who have vehicles stored there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.