FARM FRESH 1969 359 PROJECT

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BIGZILLA, May 15, 2016.

1. BIGZILLA

BIGZILLA Heavy Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Finally got a few hours work in on the old girl. The frame got shorter today.

IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1138.JPG

I am coming to grips with the fact that this is going to take a VERY long time with only one functioning arm. It's been 3 years since the motorcycle accident but I still forget my limitations sometimes. VERY VERY FRUSTRATING repeatedly reaching for something with my left arm and realizing it can't do that. Had some good fun today anyway, found out I can still one hand that sledge in the picture. :D

So back to the Pete.... I guess that was a frame extension that was added long ago, or perhaps a repair of some sort. It almost looks like an old ship-lap joint.

Ruthless and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Very hot, very humid today so I thought I'd do a little spring cleaning instead of cutting during the middle of the day. Hopefully I will get some cutting done a little later when it cools down.

BEFORE IMG_0453.JPG

AFTER IMG_1151.JPG

Still a long way to go but It's definitely an improvement.

4. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Headed back over to cut off the front fenders! They're in my way and they are coming off eventually anyway. Gonna lose the front bumper too, if there's time. :eek:

I'm a little upset, I sold a pair of nice aluminum rocker covers about a week ago off my 8v92Ti Marine and just found out they are interchangeable with the 8v71. That makes it a good time to do demo!

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh the memories. Thank you kindly.

The frame plate, the diamond sort of plate might have been installed over a preexisting crack that has been ground out. The diamond add on plate with good quality weld will essentally form part of the existing frame and be much stronger at that location than it was when new from factory.

Im going to follow this thread over coffee every morning and night.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  6. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I feel better! A little violent truck cutting put me at ease. I have (had) a 3000w dc inverter in my Chevy but it quit on me so I only got one fender off. Interesting though. I was wondering how they avoided galvanic (dissimilar metal) corrosion mounting steel fenders to an aluminum body and now I know. There were small patches of the material used on the interior door panels between the steel and the aluminum. IMG_1159.JPG

I was surprised to see steel rivets too, I had it in my head they were aluminum.

IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1163.JPG

FullMetalJacket and bigguns Thank this.
  7. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I believe it was @truckdad that mentioned in another thread that these are getting hard to find. They are the step and marker lights off the fender. IMG_1165.JPG

They need a serious re-chroming but if someone is doing a restoration let me know. I'm sure we can work something out.:rolleyes: I have a pair of each.

8. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I haven't posted in a while because I've been pretty busy at work and the little bit of progress I've made has not been worth posting. But, when I stopped by on my way home today to crank it up and let it run a while the kill switch apparently stopped working. The ignition was on and all gauges were working but the kill switch did absolutely nothing. I calmly removed the intake before the filter and covered it with a piece of plywood to smother the engine. She had other plans.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140939049@N08/28030531990/in/dateposted-public/

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Lol!

How'd you shut it down?

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I started another thread about this for entertainment.
    I put vice grips on the fuel lines, they were on there in the video, that didnt help, eventually I jumped in the cab, slammed it in gear and dropped the clutch. It reversed 10 feet before dying! It was amazing how hard it was to shut down.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You can expect a good 400k or of any stock 71 series. I never got more than that or of them. The good news is, tons of 71s and 92s out there and junk yards. And if you look hats enough you can have a 12v92. But not mine. It's not for sale. One day its going into my own project.

Oxbow, Ruthless and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.