FARM FRESH 1969 359 PROJECT

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BIGZILLA, May 15, 2016.

1. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    "Aircraft stripper" and a good pressure washer!!! With a "wizard" tip!!!! (0 degree spinning)

Apply stripper with a small v notched thinset trowel. Ehff the brush BS!

All you need to make quick work of paint removal!!! The yard will be amess but you'll have bare metal in no time.

Easiest way we've found.

BoxCarKidd and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BIGZILLA

BIGZILLA Heavy Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I truly appreciate any guidance I can get! I will definitely check out the Aircraft Stripper but unfortunately I store it close to me home, not at my yard so I can run over and put in a few minutes here and there. That means that it is surrounded by other people's vehicles so a pressure cleaner whipping" jelllyfied" orange paint soaked in stripper bouncing off 200,000 RV's might be a problem.I do have a bus on one side and a container on the other that might help me set up some kind of tarp for a day. I will check that out.

Interesting note.... I was poking around underneath looking to see how I was gonna achieve the height I want when I stumbled on a very nicely hidden heavy duty ignition kill switch. That solves my push button start security issues.:D

PeteyFixAll Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    The state of Florida is very hard on those type activities.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  5. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Don't know if you were trying to be funny but the county I live in is VERY protective of the environment especially the water. (Rivers and ocean). You can bet there will be tarp down to catch all of it. And if there isn't they will be on me like white on rice.

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    No just been there to buy used trucks. Saw four inch deep concrete swimming pools lined with 1/4 inch plate so nothing from junkers hit the dirt. Went to a wash out fit with everything captured, filtered, recycled, to look at a trade in.
    Thought the comment was not needed since you live there but would not want someone to call you in. That could be a very bad day!

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  7. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    That stripper is some potent sh@@!

image.jpeg

They wont let me use a pressure washer to take it off here so its a slow painful process. As soon as they saw the pressure washer they came running out to say NO! Lol.

tucker and PeteyFixAll Thank this.
  8. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    Slowly but surely she reveals her inner beauty. Lol

image.jpeg

PeteyFixAll Thanks this.
  9. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Lookin like a good start!!

We've tried a bunch of ways.

Using a GOOD strripper, applied evenly, and Don't Play with it!
    Seems to be key in any method! And Patience!!!

Cool when it all wrinkles up like that,,, Isn't it?

I like the notched trowel... It makes it even quickly, without playing with it, once color starts to mix with it, like when you try to brush it around, it doesn't seem to work as well?? Also I think the notches lightly scratching the paint helps open it up!!

We've used, all kinds of scrapers to remove it.
    Putty knives, Razor Blades, Paint Scrapers, Bondo Spreaders, Wire wheels!, regular garden hose.

When I can't use water, I prefer a razor blade, in a small pair of vise-grips!! and a Bondo Squeggee! And a square of cardboard, or a plastic cup to clean the scraper into/onto.

You'll find they all have their place in the process.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  10. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I'm finding all of this to be true. Once it mixes with the paint it doesn't work. I have taken to a spray bottle to apply it evenly. The top of the hood (no pics yet) came off cleaner, I don't know if 47 years of heat affected it or maybe I let the stripper sit longer and do it's job. A plastic putty knife seems to work great, I imagine just like a bondo knife, as long as I keep it clean. I really think I'm gonna like the look when it's done! I'm not looking forward to the buffing process though. I have considered a brushed finish too, like with a 3M green pad or swirls with very fine wet sand paper on a slow moving buffer. I'm gonna do some test spots soon and post the results.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sure has a rat rod kind of look to it with the paint stripped off like that. I opted to go the sanding route with mine. Took me about an hour or so to sand the back wall down to the primer and bare aluminum on the oxidized spots.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.