Fatality accident on US 231 in Shelbyville, TN

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by bigkev1115, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The A pillars aren't really designed to stop a +6500# vehicle. They tend to sheer off, rather than crumple to absorb the energy of the impact as the engine compartment would have done IF it hadn't simply slipped under the trailer. "Too little too late" can be said of ANY crash where failure to reduce speed may have played a role.

Prime screwed up...no getting around that. Pickup driver's family had a VERY bad day as a result.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. No germs

No germs Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    GA
    Swap out the Prime truck/trl with a long hood Pete covered with chicken lights and a blank trl. Wonder what direction member comments would flow? Sad. No, I do not drive for Prime.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I don't get your remarks........wrong is wrong.....doesn't matter who you drive for

rachi Thanks this.
  5. No germs

No germs Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2015
    GA
    I agree, wrong is wrong. Just saying some member comments would be totally different if this was a Classic Cowboy Truck involved instead of Prime(or any starter/mega company).

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    And that section of US 231 is a FOUR LANE ROAD WITH NO MEDIAN. So I wouldn't be surprised if the driver is cited for a making an illegal U-Turn,let alone possible vehicular homicide/manslaughter charges. I know with my company U-Turns are STRICTLY PROHIBITED for this very reason- and are considered grounds for IMMEDIATE TERMINATION. We get QualComm messages on this issue at least once a week.

rachi and otherhalftw Thank this.
  7. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I agree with you that there are circumstances where a u-turn is necessary and there are times and places where it is safe. In this particular instance, it was neither necessary nor safe. There is a reason why nearly all the megas and training companies have a policy against it and most will fire the driver immediately, no questions asked. New drivers tend to underestimate the amount of space that is needed and the amount of time that is needed to complete the maneuver.

otherhalftw and Air Breeze Thank this.
  8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    First off, a lot of the comments would be exactly the same. U-turn was illegal and it killed someone. Stupid move no matter what you drive. Secondly, a long nose Pete would not be in this situation because that guy or gal behind the wheel of that Pete would have more experience and not make such a bonehead move.

Boy, I detect some Peter envy in your comments, and no I do not drive a Pete. Drive a KW but prefer a WS.

You can tell these kids till you are blue in the face that U-turns are not allowed or even legal in most cases and you are going to be ignored. Probably because they really never got any real punishment as children. They have never had severe consequences. Well guess what? It is now time to grow up and look for another line of work to pay off all the lawsuits they are going to deservedly get.

It's just plain common sense that you do not pull a u-turn in a big rig that blocks the entire road. Simple thing is if you are getting close to your destination slow the #### down and quit worrying about holding up traffic and find your turn. Otherwise, go 30 miles further if you have to and turn around safely.

You hate to see a driver get hung out to dry, but just like these drivers that collapse bridges and drive through parks, they need to be taken off the road.

8thnote Thanks this.
  9. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    So the big nose Pete driver has to get his experience at Swift and the big nose KW has to train at Werner before upgrading to the hood?
    :)
    the Prime driver can always get a job at Carolina Cargo (a driver made $800 there once) or Florida Beauty.

10. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    How many fleets do you know running hoods? A few and they rarely take new drivers. Most are owner ops, so yeah they have experience. Your post is as ignorant as the one thinking the comments would be different based on the truck type.

11. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Now now now....attack the post...not the poster! We have a good discussion going here, let's not sully it with name calling!

tucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.