Fatality accident on US 231 in Shelbyville, TN

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by bigkev1115, Jan 24, 2016.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Never called a name one. Might want to look up the definition of ignorant. I said the post was ignorant.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Looks like as good a place as any to make a u turn. Just not the best time to do it.

Personally I've made 1 u turn in a semi and will gladly go a long way to avoid one.

There's blame to go around but that only matters in how much is paid out in the lawsuits.

It doesn't matter to the deceased and it doesn't matter to the Prime driver who will deal with the what if's for the rest of his life.

Like most fatal crashes a little patience by one or more involved would have made all the difference.

STexan and cnsper Thank this.
  4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Exactly! No brake marks on the road, the amount of force and speed he needed to be going to make it to the other side of the trailer was greater then the posted speed limit, the BIG WHITE TRAILER WITH IT'S SIDE LIGHTS would have been vissible to any oncomming traffic. The driver of the small truck wasn't paying attention at all, plain and simple.

I can't imagine that the Prime driver would have executed the u-turn if that truck was there or coming up the road behind him. Just based on where it impacted that 4 wheeler arrived well after the Prime driver executed the turn and would have had ample amount of time to slow down, move over, or even stop. There is a reason why the Prime driver wasn't ticketed when you take into account what you can see in the picture showing no signs of the 4 wheeler stopping and where on the trailer he hit.

I feel for both the drivers and there families. It was a tragedy.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Again, with ABS there wouldn't be those long, dark, black skid marks left on the road. The scuffs made by an ABS-equipped vehicle are sometimes difficult to see and can be darn near impossible to photograph.

As for the speed @ impact, once again, the A-pillars aren't designed to stop a vehicle. They tend to shear off as the "crumple zone" designed into the nose of the vehicle to absorb the impact misses the trailer completely as it passes beneath it.

tucker Thanks this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Prime driver most likely will be getting a ticket. I'm sure he has already been fired. Totally stupid of prime to make that u turn and illegal.

tucker Thanks this.
  7. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    The one time I needed to make a U-turn I called the St. Paul police to assist even though I could have made it no problem. It's all about CYA.

8. Beardefreak

Beardefreak Light Load Member

May 13, 2014
    no citations were issued.

9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Not then, but he has some now! And no job.

10. Beardefreak

Beardefreak Light Load Member

May 13, 2014
    i doubt he was fired since he was in the right and prime has no rule against u-turns.

11. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Dodge driver failed to pay attention. Sure this society likes to dilute personal responsibility to the largest cash reserves but in the end this dude is dead through his own lack of attention and no blame on anyone else will bring him back. Eternity is forever, life is fleeting, pay attention, driving is very dangerous. Trusting every other motorist with your life is foolhardy.

..... and remember to DUCK!

Bakerman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.