FedEx worker killed at Willington facility (CT)

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Puppage, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Prayers to all involved. http://wtnh.com/2016/12/07/fedex-worker-killed-at-willington-facility/

WILLINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) — A Federal Express worker has died after he was pinned between two deliver trailers at the company’s Willington hub Tuesday night.

At 8:15 p.m., Troopers from Troop-C in Tolland were advised that Emergency Medical Technicians were dispatched to the FedEx hub facility, located at 350 Ruby Road, on a report that an individual had become pinned between two trailers. According to State Police, fellow workers were able to get the man out from in-between the trailers before EMTs arrived at the scene. Once the man was free of the trailers, co-workers began to administer CPR.

The injured man, identified as 30-year-old Steven Rost, of Killeen, Texas, was transported to Rockville Hospital for treatment of his injuries. Rost was pronounced dead a few hours later at 11:15 p.m.

State Police are continuing their investigation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boriqua

Boriqua Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Rockport, Texas
    Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tragedy. :(

4. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Kind of reminds me of one of the very first lessons my mentor taught me when I was first starting out: when walking through a terminal, truck stop or rest area, always have your head on a swivel; never cross too close to the fronts of trucks at the fuel aisle ('cause even the sloped-nose aero models will completely lose sight of you if you walk too close to the grille); and never walk between the backs of trailers when travelling through truck parking.

Not saying the driver was guilty of any of these things (R.I.P.) but not doing these things is a good way to eventually meet the same fate this guy did.

shroomhauler, x1Heavy, mjd4277 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I've actually been to that facility. Not much room for error there in spite of its modest size.

x1Heavy, NavigatorWife and bzinger Thank this.
  6. Thisguyishere

Thisguyishere Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2016
    He was killed due to error from another driver trying to connect a set together that pushed a 53ft trailer into his while raising his landing gear

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Prayers for his family.

x1Heavy, mjd4277 and Puppage Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Similar thing happened to an ODFL driver when I was there, in Texas. Apparently hooking up a set alone, didn't have tractor or trailer brakes set, and on an incline. The set was held by the locked trailer brakes on the rear trailer, but when he opened the valves at the back of the front trailer - it released the rear, jackknifing the set with him crushed in between. He was found several hours later.

Always develop a safe systematic procedure with hook/drop, and don't be distracted.

Badmon, mjd4277 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Atgs1987

Atgs1987 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Is it possible for you to email me about this accident. Atgs1987@yahoo.com. I am his sister.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Sorry for your loss Ma'am.

Lepton1, Badmon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Up in Fort Collins I myself personally was almost killed by my own trailer and wash dock which those of us who have been up there is mostly a poured concrete block on sharp steel all around on it for decking etc.

I was very tired, just finished approx 2000 miles to get there, stumbled out of the tractor, threw down the landing gear, yanked the 5th wheel.. gaurd hand me the wash ticket and papers and I started walking that way while sleeping one foot in front of another after I moved the bobtail out from under my trailer so yard jockey can get it.

He got it alright. Revved the engine racing for the washbay, Swung into a big half circle stopped quick big hiss of air then roared back at top speed for his reverse gear. There I was a dead man between the oncoming trailer (*My own no less..) and the steel and concrete wash bay I jumped for my life glad I made it.

One thing for sure, you get awake really sharp and hard very fast. And stay awake for a week after something like that. Better than dead for enternity.

swaggerjacker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.