Few Authority Questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mrbamcclain, Sep 3, 2015.

1. mrbamcclain

mrbamcclain Light Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Hammond, La
    So, I did my initial authority application back in June and sat on it now until the end of my 90 days before my application and purged from the system.

Trying to tie up all lose ends before I pay the down payment for the insurance but I'm unsure of a few things. Help me out if you can. TIA

I purchased my base plates through the previous company I was leased to. Kept them when I left and leased on to a local carrier. Now, I'm about to head to the IFTA office to do my application. I'm slightly understanding that since I was already leased on to another carrier with my base plates it shouldn't be any problems, right?
    Just make sure I have a lease agreement from the company since the plates are still registered with them?

When I paid my plate fees I also pre paid a portion of my 2290. Am I going to be made to pay the full $550 now or do I tell them the portion was paid and they can look it up? Will any of this mess me up when the new year comes and I go to the IRP office to get new plates?
    (If you wondering, Illinois doesn't offer refunds on plates and I refused to just eat the money and allow the previous company to reuse my plate without some type of refund, although they did have to allow me to continue to use them)

Lastly, before I go in either direction since they are on opposite sides of me, should I go pay the insurance first? Is it required to be in place already to get my IFTA stickers?

Arky Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    New 2290 was due August 31st, so you're late on that. If you are just getting IFTA stickers, you shouldn't need a 2290 as IFTA stickers are generic and simply registered to your account, not a particular truck. Insurance is not required for an IFTA account. My o/o leased to me back in the day ran his own IRP and IFTA.

mrbamcclain Thanks this.
  4. mrbamcclain

mrbamcclain Light Load Member

May 25, 2011
    Hammond, La
    On my second truck, I'm not putting it back to work right at this moment. Am I still penalized on the 2290 for that one as well? It hasn't been on the road since March

5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    You can suspend that truck, and not have to pay right now, but it should have been done by 8/31, so you'll pay late fees on that most likely

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.