Few questions about winch tracks

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dlstruck, Sep 22, 2016.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I have an older trailer that had an aluminum winch track welded on years ago by a previous owner. By now, nearly 50% of the welds are broken so I had to install the bolt on winches in those places. I got a few quotes to weld it again but they were too high and I don't know how long they will last.

Are there any winch tracks that can be bolted on? I've see them on some other trailers but all I can find are these style tracks online: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Winch-Track and I can't bolt those because the winches won't be able to slide past. I need to be able to slide my winches all over since my freight is usually really random.

Can anyone recommend a winch track to buy? Also what are your thoughts on aluminum vs steel? Weight is not really an issue for me so I'm thinking of going with steel for the strength and price.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    You can bolt those on and still slide the winches past, they don't fit that tight.

4. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    I looks like there won't be any room. I'll have to see if I can find a trailer with that style and look at it in person.

5. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    We have an old transcraft with the aluminum double-L track that came loose over time. It was basically spot welded on at the factory. We rewelded it to the cross members and added self tapping floor bolts to the track at each cross member
    image.jpeg

6. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Are those bolts countersunk?

7. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    Not that I remember, the bolts looked somewhat like this- except the first 1/2" of the threads were tapered and had tapping threads on them image.jpeg

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  8. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    The double L track on my reitnouer is bolted up to the cross members with normal bolts. The winches just clear. Sometimes when the track rails get some grit build up they need a tap with the winch bar get motivated.

Riprap and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.