Fifth wheel height

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by EZ Money, Apr 28, 2016.

1. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I know this has been discussed before but the truck in my sig pic is what I am asking about.
    When I am grossing 79500 my trailer is around 31400 and my steers and drives are way heavy.

The company had no idea that tankers need taller fifth wheels and this truck is spec'd with a 46 inch from top of plate to the ground.

What is the best way to fix this? Taller stands for the fifth wheel plate?
    From what I have been reading I see that 51 to 54 inch height is doable but how do I figure out just how high to go?
    The trailer is a 45 footer and what we haul is 8.2 pounds a gallon..

Wondering if raising it to 50 inches would result in too much transfer to the trailer...?

Wondering if you older hands had any way to figure weight transfer..

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I had the same problem at the company I used to work at. We ended up buying two peices of some heavy wall 2x6 rectangle tubing, about 30" long or however long the fifth wheel brackets are and drilling holes in it, buying longer bolts and making it a spacer between the fifth wheel and frame. We had a local steel fab shop cut it and drill all the holes for us, didn't cost much and solved the problem. Just make sure you buy grade 8 fine thread bolts. Keep in mind if you ever hook to a van you'll be over 13'6"

Edit to add: We also lowered the air ride height on the trailers. Before we lowered it there was at least 8 inches of space between the top of the tires and the outside edge of the trailer fenders where it curves. We lowered it til there was about 4 or 5 inches of room there. The adjustment is easy to do.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: edit to add
  4. wstar2003

wstar2003 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2013
    52". Don't know why but it always works.

By the way Dana and LTC outlawed the procedure discussed in post 2. Called it an improperly modified fifth wheel assembly. The only thing they will accept is a taller OEM fifth wheel leg. That being said I ran the exact same thing on a 99 Peterbilt and never had any problems with it (square tubing under the fifth wheel plate). You could probably get away with a 50" height if you have a set back axle tractor. To answer your question I don't think there's any way 50" puts you over on the trailer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    EZ Money Thanks this.
  5. EZ Money

Thanks for the help guys!
    Everything I have been reading is 50 to 53 inches..
    Being it is at 46 1/4 now I think 50 inches will be plenty..

I talked to the shop today and they advised getting a thicker plate for the trailer....You would think changing the fifth wheel legs would be more cost effective...
    I guess I will see what the boss wants me to do being he writes the checks...lol!

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    11R24.5 tall rubber on the tractor doesn't hurt either.......

EZ Money Thanks this.
  7. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    It will NOT transfer weight either move the fifth wheel plate forward or back. Height will NOT transfer weight dont believe me do all this work you will weight the same.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If a single compartment tank trailer is not full when you put the unit on a platform scale it will....

A higher fifth wheel will raise the front of the trailer and liquid will find dead level..... Front to back / front higher/ less liquid in front. Less weight on the drives and more weight on the trailer tandems...

If you were hauling palletized frieght it would not change the weight

P.S. The total weight is the same but the axle weight would be different .

EZ Money and sawmill Thank this.
  9. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    You know we're discussing weight of bulk tankers here, right?

10. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    been pulling tanks for years go ahead do it you will see

11. EZ Money

I don't see how it could not change axle weight...
    Lifting the nose of the trailer moves liquid more to the trailer tandems..This is a smooth bore tank.
    Loaded near gross weight I still have near 2 ft of empty space at the manhole.
    Would the liquid not roll to the rear?

I found some old threads where some tanker outfits won't take an O/O on without a minimum of 50 inch fifth wheel height...

sawmill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.