Fifth wheel height

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by EZ Money, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Calling the trailer manufacturer isn't a bad idea......

I've always had a high 5th wheel so I've never done before/after comparisons...

I wouldn't be worried about putting to much on the trailer. If you do you can adj the ride height back up a little ...I'd lean to the higher the better camp 52" if that's what jost will do.

What is the pin setting on the trailer ? 19" barely covers the 5th wheel plate, which is what I prefer .

Coyote302 and EZ Money Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I will call Polar on Monday....It looked like the plate under the trailer only had bolt holes for where it was mounted so no adjustment.
    The air ride is already low in the back...about 4 inches from the fender to the tire.

I know passing other tanks like mine they all set higher in the front compared to mine.

When I unload on flat ground and dump trailer air bags we have had the problem of bringing back up to 400 of product....I have been using 6x6 blocks to put under the drives just to get the trailer empty....not fun!

4. BKLusk64

BKLusk64 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    is the trailer a rear or center discharge?

5. EZ Money

6. BKLusk64

BKLusk64 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    The engineers at polar should be able to take the info you give them and cut out some of the trial and error. i could see maybe a fifth wheel plate and fifth wheel leg change tho

EZ Money Thanks this.
  7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Sorry to say I do dot have one. 2 tanks 85' long and no fifth wheel.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You can make a tool to unhook the air ride control rod from its con. and push the arm to up position to gain 5in. or 8in. of lift on 5th wheel?

9. EZ Money

Thought about that baha,...Thinking it would ride terrible with the bags pumped up that high.
    I could see that helping for off loading but for going down the highway having the air ride pumped all the way up would probably ride terrible.

10. Coyote302

Coyote302 Light Load Member

May 9, 2014
    LA(lower Alabama)
    I had similar problems with 48 inch height. With 79,000 and full of fuel I would scale 12,800 and 34,800. 50 to 52 inch would be about right, not to mention help with heel.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.