Filling your logbook recap?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by outerspacehillbilly, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    And I use Drivers Daily Log and STILL write the recap! I'm a grown man and know how to keep company and DOT cops off my ###! It's not a big deal! Do it the same way every time every day!

2. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    If it isn't a big deal, why do you keep bringing it up?

I'm a grown-up too, and choose not to use the recap as I'm not required to by either my company, nor any regulation. I include the minimum information required by law and nothing more, i.e., I don't include a descrition for any duty-status change. As has been suggested by a former federal DOT officer on this forum, the more information there is, the more opportunities for being hung during an inspection/audit.

And even someone as perfect as me makes the occasional mistake. :biggrin_25525:

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    Had 2 level 1's in the same week. Neither asked or made a comment on it.

4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With the restart available, doing the recap is pretty much a moot point these days. If you need to do it because of not getting a restart, it's 1 thing, but that rarely happens for me anymore, I sometimes get 2 or more in a week.

The only time I do the recap is if I'm getting near to 3000 miles in a week, and that doesn't happen very often.

5. childerscarl1

childerscarl1 Medium Load Member

Thanks Received:
    my company supplys there own log books, two days on each page, and yes its mandatory on filling out the recap.
    Ha, been doin it for 3 years so its no big deal, and its easy for dot to scan quickly and get me on my way!

6. lostNfound

Thanks Received:
    I actually have had several comments on mine (13 inspections in the last 17 months (4 level 1, 5 level 2, 4 level 3). Without exception they have commented on the neatness and legibility, several even stating they wished more drivers would prepare and present their logs like I do, and how much they appreciated it as it made their job easier. :biggrin_25523:

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    The comment I was referring to is the fact that I do not do the recap or the front of the log book.

They have made the same comment about neatness to be as well.

8. lostNfound

Thanks Received:
    Same here ... everything that's required, and nothing more.

9. safeyankee

safeyankee Bobtail Member

Thanks Received:
    My book is neat, legible and in big clear letters, however no I do not fill-out the re-cap bullshyt. Cop nor d.o.t cat ever had a problem with it. But if in doubt, just fill. To be on top i think it's best to just fill it out. Its more work though, more ink and more bullshyt.

10. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Thanks Received:
    As is mine. I do fill out my recap though. Its just habit now. I've always filled it out to keep track of my hours each week and how many I have left. Makes it easier to figure out when I'm going to have to start fudging or worse cheating.

Draft saved Draft deleted