Final Rule on Windshield mounted devices

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Mark Kling, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    that utilize “vehicle safety technology.”

####... does that mean dash cams, prepass transponders and any other devices at all?

I love how the Government will speak and render laws but fail to discuss what is actually a vehicle safety device. One could argue the whole #### 18 wheeler itself is a vehicle safety device attached to the windshield.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Specifically, the Agency replaces current § 393.60(e)(1) with (1)

§ 393.60(e)(1)(i), which requires antennas and similar devices to be mounted not more

than 152 mm (6 inches) below the upper edge of the windshield, and outside the driver’s

sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals; and (2) § 393.60(e)(1)(ii), which

provides an exception to paragraph (e)(1)(i) to allow devices that utilize certain vehicle

safety technologies (including, but not limited to video event recorders, lane departure

warning systems, collision mitigation or warning systems, transponders, and sensors that

are part of a hands-free driver aid equipment package) to be mounted on the interior of

the windshield and within the area swept by the windshield wipers. The Agency adds a

definition of “vehicle safety technology” in § 393.5, specifically as it relates to §

393.60(e)

driverdriver, dca and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Yeah I had a shop monkey mount a camera in a spot where all it would see out front is raindrops and road dirt. But by then it was mounted and they weren't going to fix it.

Another truck I "inherited" had the SunPass and Nebraska (?) pass mounted dead center of the single piece windshield (WTF?!?). Since I rarely go west of Ohio or South of Atlanta, seemed like a waste to have either sticker. But since theoretically the truck COULD be reassigned,,,

I keep my GPS in a dashboard or overhead cubby and only flip it up when I need it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.