Finally going to trucking school next week. Question about DOT physical

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bluejet, Aug 31, 2016.

1. bluejet

bluejet Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    I got a 2 year medical card last month at a DOT testing center that is on the national registry. I'm going to a CDL mills school and on their requirements, it says that I have to have a 1 year minimum dot card and the long form that goes with it. Ok no problem. My question is, will they make me take another physical while arriving? I know they are going to make me do a drug test, but will they make me take another physical like checking my blood pressure?

The only reason I ask is because at the DOT testing center, I got a low reading of 122/80 from cutting back on sodium and other things. I am now sure it's a lot higher now that I have begun eating things after passing the test and afraid if they check it up there, I may get sent home.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I just went through all that very recently. Don't drink coffee. No fast food or anything else with a lot of sodium. Drink a lot of water (not gallons because that can actually kill you). The limit I think is 140/90 or 85. Not sure about the second number. If you aren't close to those numbers you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

4. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    If you have a valid physical that is good for a while I don't see them doing it.

I had my 2 year and I didn't have to do it at the school or my orientation due to it still having close to 2 years on it.

5. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
    They won't do it there, but whoever hires you will send you for a drug test and it's possible they'll do another dot physical there.

Happened to me. I have two cards

6. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    School doubtful. First employer almost certainly will.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    140/90 is the DOT max for BP test. If you are borderline, most will get you by. White coat syndrome can cause your BP to rise a bit as well. You are stressing over it because we all need a med card to drive, make a living. That right there can cause your BP to be elevated a bit.

Just try not to think about it. I know, easier said than done. I have that same issue, on BP meds and still test borderline. At home, normal readings.

8. bluejet

bluejet Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    I'm going to swift academy. So they will test me again after I get done with the training?

9. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    I couldn't say definitively, but probably so. Every job I've ever had started with a drug test and physical regardless of my current.med card.

10. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    If you are going to Swift Academy, Swift is not going to require another physical after you graduate before you start driving for Swift.

That would be redundant to the point of absurdity.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If the requirement says that then You're good to go.But I would call them to see how recent the med card has to be..Also If they accept your card then you won't have to take a BP test but you will a drug test.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.