Financial help

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by melsno, Feb 11, 2016.

1. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Dont know where to stick this at. I recently bought a truck put down $25k down truck is worth $57k including warranty. I have another $3k to spend seeing that i am getting rid of my truck and selling the rubbers. So i will get this money after the sale from a friend. I was wondering if i should put it towards the Truck and pay a few months. Or should i pay off the lease of my car which has 15months left. Giving me a little room at the end of the month about $190. If i put it towards the truck i will only see about $60 off my monthly payment. My goal is to pay the truck loan as fast as i can. There might be a straight answer to my question. Which i am not seeing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A long way from Texas

A long way from Texas Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I would pay it towards the car, from what you said it frees the most money up & it gets rid of a prier comment. This will free money up each week to put back into escro just in case. If you save this money & you can always double a monthly payment towards interest this will pay the truck off just as fast. Maybe faster depending on bal...

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Why don't you just use the money you have to pay cash for a good used truck? You save the interest and don't have to worry about making payment on the truck.

5. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Because of the new laws in ny and nj area ports need a 09 and up engine just like California now.

alien4fish Thanks this.
  6. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    I thought so too gives me a bit of elbow room and I could double on the payments. Thanks

7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Keep it in your piggy bank. You may need it.

melsno and brysol01 Thank this.
  8. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

Im in the same boat, ive been looking at 08-09 petes and theres some fine 07's out there for great price

9. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Yeah i had to get rid of my pete 379 7 years and never left me on the side of the road. I think i had a tear go down my eyes when the wrecker came to get her.

10. Lu305

Lu305 Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Pay off the car

melsno Thanks this.
  11. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    You said that the car was a lease? Do you save anything on interest or fees by paying it early? If you don't or its not much I wouldn't pay it off. How much are you home? I'm not home much and don't drive much so I don't need much of a personal vehicle. Before I went otr I bought an old Toyota for $3, 000 had to put another $1, 200 into it in repairs right off the bat and $500 since. However I've had it for 7yrs resale on it is still around $3, 000-$3, 500. The money I've saved by having that old POS is stupid, and its insurance is nothing. Why not just use the $3,000 to buy something similar, give the lease car back early, then continue to make a payment to yourself and save the money for a new you can eventually pay cash for?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.